Monday, May 16, 2011

Very pleasant was their day.

We emerged from the palace while the sun was still in part above the horizon
We emerged from the palace while the sun was still in part above the horizon. She seemed scarcely to breathe. The wood behind seemed full of the stir and murmur of a great company!She seemed to have fainted. until my growing knowledge would lead me back to them in a natural way.then fainter and ever fainter.Yesterday it was so high. But the problems of the world had to be mastered. and she began below.nor can we appreciate this machine. The bright little figures ceased to move about below.We stared at each other. With the last twenty or thirty feet of it a deadly nausea came upon me. and had used all its abundant vitality to alter the conditions under which it lived. Upon these my conductors seated themselves. Probably my shrinking was largely due to the sympathetic influence of the Eloi.The Editor began a question.You can show black is white by argument. I could not imagine the Morlocks were strong enough to move it far away. It was plain that they had left her poor little body in the forest.

 I called to mind that it was already far advanced in the afternoon.it had stood at a minute or so past ten; now it was nearly half past three!I drew a breath. above ground you must have the Haves. That was the beginning of a queer friendship which lasted a week. but not too strongly for even a moderate swimmer. The idea was received with melodious applause; and presently they were all running to and fro for flowers. for rising on either side of me were the huge bulks of big machines. For the white leprous face of the sphinx was towards it. I could no longer see the Palace of Green Porcelain.brightening in a quite transitory manner. dusty. And then it came into my head that I would amaze our friends behind by lighting it.a tendency to draw an unreal distinction between the former three dimensions and the latter. Some laughed.So long as I travelled at a high velocity through time.And perhaps the thing that struck me most was its dilapidated look.I searched again for traces of Weena. tightly pressed her face against my shoulder.It is only another way of looking at Time.

 I felt that this close resemblance of the sexes was after all what one would expect; for the strength of a man and the softness of a woman. With a sudden fright I stooped to her. and so out upon the flagstones in front of the palace. That is what dismayed me: the sense of some hitherto unsuspected power.we should have shown HIM far less scepticism.Here is a popular scientific diagram. and found that her name was Weena. as is sometimes the case in more tropical districts. I had to butt in the dark with my head--I could hear the Morlocks skull ring--to recover it. against connubial jealousy.I was simply starving.I was seized with a panic fear. could they not restore the machine to me? And why were they so terribly afraid of the dark? I proceeded.would not believe at any price. instead of the customary hall.the Psychologist suggested. and I returned to the welcome and the caresses of little Weena. One thing was clear enough to my mind. And very soon she was smiling and clapping her hands.

 two dynamite cartridges! I shouted "Eureka!" and smashed the case with joy. and the specialization of the sexes with reference to their childrens needs disappears. Once I fell headlong and cut my face; I lost no time in stanching the blood. I felt that this close resemblance of the sexes was after all what one would expect; for the strength of a man and the softness of a woman.Its plain enough. In my trouser pocket were still some loose matches.Well. The big hall was dark.The next Thursday I went again to Richmond I suppose I was one of the Time Travellers most constant guests and. hastily retreating before the light..would not believe at any price. As I did so I surveyed the hall at my leisure.) The end I had come in at was quite above ground. I had made myself the most complicated and the most hopeless trap that ever a man devised.being pressed over. And yet.Im starving for a bit of meat. as well as I was able.

 Mother Necessity.diluted presentation.We all saw the lever turn.perhaps. had him by the loose part of his robe round the neck. Several times my head swam. I had nothing left but misery. however helpless the little people in the presence of their mysterious Fear.I was in an agony of discomfort. everything. pointed to the sun. this new vermin that had replaced the old.But the great difficulty is this. Southward (as I judged it) was a very bright red star that was new to me it was even more splendid than our own green Sirius. I do not remember all I did as the moon crept up the sky.I had at that time very vague ideas as to the course I should pursue. It had set itself steadfastly towards comfort and ease. Once the flames crept forward so swiftly on my right as I ran that I was outflanked and had to strike off to the left. I was speedily cramped and fatigued by the descent.

 chinless faces and great.the Journalist was saying or rather shouting when the Time Traveller came back. Two or three Morlocks came blundering into me. from the flaring of my matches. The presence of ventilating shafts and wells along the hill slopes--everywhere. Grecian. then something at my arm. I stood glaring at the blackness. just as are the pupils of the abysmal fishes. At the first glance I was reminded of a museum. I was overpowered. Then we came to a gallery of simply colossal proportions. The Morlocks at any rate were carnivorous! Even at the time. discords in a refined and pleasant life. perhaps a little roughly. I could not imagine the Morlocks were strong enough to move it far away. a matter of a week.murmured the Provincial Mayor; and. Examining the panels with care I found them discontinuous with the frames.

 It seemed odd how it floated into my mind: not stirred up as it were by the current of my meditations.as I went on.as I went on.Look at the table too. I am telling you of my fruit dinner in the distant future now. Even the soil smelt sweet and clean. and these tunnellings were the habitat of the new race. while they stayed peering and blinking up at me: all but one little wretch who followed me for some way.You CAN move about in all directions of Space. and as happy in their way.The rest of the dinner was uncomfortable. Then.said the Editor. In one place I suddenly found myself near the model of a tin-mine.Im going to wash and dress. was a kind of island in the forest. Well. could they not restore the machine to me? And why were they so terribly afraid of the dark? I proceeded. the big unmeaning shapes.

 We soon met others of the dainty ones. . running across the sunlit space behind me. and presently a little group of perhaps eight or ten of these exquisite creatures were about me. Then I would fall to rubbing my eyes and calling upon God to let me awake.he said suddenly. on the third day of my visit. And very soon she was smiling and clapping her hands.the dance of the shadows. And the cases had in some instances been bodily removed by the Morlocks as I judged.The grey downpour was swept aside and vanished like the trailing garments of a ghost. I had been without sleep for a night and two days.and the Psychologist volunteered a wooden account of the ingenious paradox and trick we had witnessed that day week. that the others were running. and waved it in their dazzled faces. as I went about my business. It seemed to smile in mockery of my dismay. and I returned to the welcome and the caresses of little Weena. from the flaring of my matches.

 shook it again. and tried to frame a question about it in their tongue. and presently a little group of perhaps eight or ten of these exquisite creatures were about me. I could no longer see the Palace of Green Porcelain.sincere face in the bright circle of the little lamp. but simply stood round me smiling and speaking in soft cooing notes to each other.There I found a second great hall covered with cushions. The descent was effected by means of metallic bars projecting from the sides of the well. In my trouser pocket were still some loose matches.Then he came into the room.What on earth have you been up to. I did not see what became of them.above all. The pattering grew more distinct. and holding one of these up I began a series of interrogative sounds and gestures. Here and there I found traces of the little people in the shape of rare fossils broken to pieces or threaded in strings upon reeds. the toiler assured of his life and work.Not exactly. as I supposed.

Beneath my feet. Then I looked at Weena. Sitting by the side of these wells. and overflowing it. The rich had been assured of his wealth and comfort. about the Time Machine: something. as I judged by the going to and fro of past generations. and the scene was lit by the warm glow of the setting sun.when we had all imitated the action of the Medical Man. and the specialization of the sexes with reference to their childrens needs disappears. a long gallery lit by many side windows. Plainly. Once they were there. where are these imminent dangers? There is a sentiment arising. in particular.but you must refrain from interruptions.Afterwards he got more animated. but there was still. for the throb of the great pump below made me giddy.

and I was flung headlong through the air.set my teeth.You mean to say that that machine has travelled into the future said Filby. I was oppressed with perplexity and doubt.There were others coming.but changed his mind. my attention was attracted by a pretty little structure. had followed the Ichthyosaurus into extinction.since it must have travelled through this time.The rebounding. It reminded me of a sepia painting I had once seen done from the ink of a fossil Belemnite that must have perished and become fossilized millions of years ago.But all else of the world was invisible. In another moment I was in a passion of fear and running with great leaping strides down the slope. Clambering upon the stand. I was at first inclined to associate it with the sanitary apparatus of these people. of course."But it WAS the lawn. almost see through it the Morlocks on their ant hill going hither and thither and waiting for the dark. Then I felt other soft little tentacles upon my back and shoulders.

From the brow of the next hill I saw a thick wood spreading wide and black before me. too.Of course we have no means of staying back for any length of Time. to the mystery of the ghosts; to say nothing of a hint at the meaning of the bronze gates and the fate of the Time Machine And very vaguely there came a suggestion towards the solution of the economic problem that had puzzled me. And the children seemed to my eyes to be but the miniatures of their parents. Apparently as time went on. Clearly that was the next thing to do. I was surprised to find it had been carefully oiled and cleaned. I thought that fear must be forgotten. The clinging hands slipped from me. I inferred. when Fear does not paralyse and mystery has lost its terrors.. indeed.I said. I will admit that my voice was harsh and ill-controlled.He took one of the small octagonal tables that were scattered about the room.Little Weena ran with me. and through the rare tatters of that red canopy.

 Apparently the single house.That is the germ of my great discovery. She tried to follow me everywhere. as well as lame. In addition. without anything to smoke--at times I missed tobacco frightfully--even without enough matches.In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. I resolved I would make the descent without further waste of time. should be willing enough to explain these things to him And even of what he knew.I intend to explore time.It was greatly weather worn.for instance!Dont you think you would attract attention said the Medical Man. and overflowing it. in another minute I felt a tug at my coat.His face was ghastly pale; his chin had a brown cut on it a cut half healed; his expression was haggard and drawn.Really this is what is meant by the Fourth Dimension. pale at first. like the Carolingian kings.Then he drew up a chair.

 for I never met people more indolent or more easily fatigued.But you are wrong to say that we cannot move about in Time.Ive lived eight days .The fact is that insensibly. It was plain that they had left her poor little body in the forest. In another place was a vast array of idols Polynesian. I am telling you of my fruit dinner in the distant future now.You mean to say that that machine has travelled into the future said Filby. and the little chins ran to a point. But it occurred to me that.that is.now green; they grew. For all I knew. Then I thought of the Great Fear that was between the two species. as my eyes grew accustomed to the darkness.as I went on.And he put it to us in this waymarking the points with a lean forefingeras we sat and lazily admired his earnestness over this new paradox (as we thought it:) and his fecundity. except for a hazy cloud or so. and it incontinently went out.

 was an altogether safer resting-place; I thought that with my matches and my camphor I could contrive to keep my path illuminated through the woods.the curious possibilities of anachronism and of utter confusion it suggested. I went through gallery after gallery.I was in an agony of discomfort. the advertisement. except for a hazy cloud or so.Says hell explain when he comes. I went eagerly to every unbroken case. If only I had thought of a Kodak! I could have flashed that glimpse of the Underworld in a second.said the Editor hilariously. and so we entered. with that capacity for reflecting light.Conversation was exclamatory for a little while.At first we glanced now and again at each other. all the traditions. and so forth.Had anything happened? For a moment I suspected that my intellect had tricked me. and then resumed the thread of my speculations. so that I should have the weapon of a torch at hand.

 I thought.And now came a most unexpected thing. I had the hardest task in the world to keep my hands off their pretty laughing faces. hastily retreating before the light.Then. and contrived to make her understand that we were seeking a refuge there from her Fear.and with a gust of petulance I resolved to stop forthwith.some ingenuity in ambush.might not appear when I came to look nearly into the dim elusive world that raced and fluctuated before my eyes! I saw great and splendid architecture rising about me. The thick dust deadened our footsteps. and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. I judged. I was afraid to turn.In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. of bronze. once necessary to survival.What a treat it is to stick a fork into meat again!Story! cried the Editor.The Time Traveller smiled round at us.and Chose about the machine he said to me.

 It was turfed. She wanted to be with me always. I could look my circumstances fairly in the face. . At the first glance I was reminded of a museum. Our agriculture and horticulture destroy a weed just here and there and cultivate perhaps a score or so of wholesome plants. I shouted at them as loudly as I could.and this other reverses the motion. It had moved. on the third day of my visit. in the light of the rising moon. as I have said. Once. and went up the opposite side of the valley. all greatly corroded and many broken down.Have you been time travellingYes. The fruits seemed a convenient thing to begin upon.I dont know if you have ever thought what a rare thing flame must be in the absence of man and in a temperate climate. I believe she would have cast herself into it had I not restrained her.

 My explanation may be absolutely wrong. and intelligent. I cannot describe how it relieved me to think that it had escaped the awful fate to which it seemed destined. I found the noise of machinery grow louder. I found a narrow gallery. I was oppressed with perplexity and doubt. The thing took my imagination. Lightning may blast and blacken.and suddenly looked under the table.I do not know how long I lay. But all was dark. the ground came up against these windows. An animal perfectly in harmony with its environment is a perfect mechanism. Above me shone the stars. was seven or eight miles. It was an obvious conclusion.Again I remarked his lameness and the soft padding sound of his footfall. One triumph of a united humanity over Nature had followed another. all the traditions.

 I felt very differently towards those bronze doors.set my teeth. At last. I was glad to find. As these catastrophes occur.Story be damned! said the Time Traveller.nor hear the intonation of his voice. but this rarely results in flame. I knelt down and lifted her. We see some beginnings of this even in our own time. seated as near to me as they could come.Beneath my feet.and very delicately made.Watchett came in and walked. that promotion by intermarriage which at present retards the splitting of our species along lines of social stratification.towards the garden door. I felt that this close resemblance of the sexes was after all what one would expect; for the strength of a man and the softness of a woman. down upon a turfy bole. Very pleasant was their day.

No comments:

Post a Comment