Tuesday, May 10, 2011

He will look after you. and.

 Ill go and see him and ask if he will recommend you
 Ill go and see him and ask if he will recommend you. I didnt mean to hurt you. I remembered. said the lieutenant. I know all about it now. Rinaldi said. He slapped his gloves on the edge of the bed.She looked down at the grass. Or shot through the shoulder.The priest was young and blushed easily and wore a uniform like the rest of us but with a cross in dark red velvet above the left breast pocket of his gray tunic. I said.Thank you very much. baby. long 6.

 waxy looking. its smooth surface covered with brick dust. He patted Gordini on the shoulder. We read.No. They were very nice and we had a big evening.Thats splendid. and come back like this. I saw he wore gloves. said Manera. There was fighting in the mountains and at night we could see the flashes from the artillery. But then he wanted to go to war and I didnt know. What made it pretty was that it sounded like Island. as when a blast furnace door is swung open.

 To save you trouble.Nothing.Of a whatHe explained. The dead were off to one side. Passini was dead. Then I thought of his puttees. and then a drink of the wine. You only pretend to be American. isnt itWhat gameDont be dull. It would have been impolite not to have known something of them when I had listened to such a splendid explanation of their causes which were.And youre all right I asked outside.I was going to cut it all off when he died.It sounds very funny nowCatherine. Where have you beenIve been out on post.

 and the water was clear and swiftly moving and blue in the channels.He will look after you.Id really rather.I did not say anything. Rinin.Saint Anthony asked the driver.Wash up and come as you are. But I found a place where the cars would be sheltered after they passed that last badlooking bit and could wait for the wounded to be brought across the pontoon bridge. So I went to the jail. Catherine asked me to tell you she was sorry she couldnt see you this evening. Would you like a drink of brandy How did you run into this thing anyway What were you trying to do Commit suicide Antitetanus please. They lifted me onto the table. I sent a couple of army Zona di Guerra postcards. The priest accepted it as a joke.

Isnt there anywhere we can goNo. They tell me youre an American. I come to see you again soon.Here is the American Tenente. who was on duty.Come. Well take you back with us. I could look down through the woods and see. I said. I saw he wore gloves.I can come here though. I said.You were sweet to tell me.I have to go.

 It was what I had wanted to do and I tried to explain how one thing had led to another and finally he saw it and understood that I had really wanted to go and it was almost all right.If it wasnt that that happens to their families nobody would go to the attack. It was a hot night and there was a good deal going on up in the mountains.Do you like itVery much. I wanted to go to the Black Forest.Hell say I did it on purpose. But millions of fools like you dont know it. I will go now and bring her here. I said. I said. I stood up. when I learned it. said the major. darling.

 There were racks of rockets standing to be touched off to call for help from the artillery or to signal with if the telephone wires were cut. Ahead there was a rounded turn off in the road to the right and looking down I could see the road dropping through the trees. And you will come and see meOf course.Oh. Im learning it. They would.You ought to have let me know. the old bridge where the railway crossed to the other side and across. Ireland of Wisconsin. You will come with me to see Miss Barkley. All fire and smoke and nothing inside. They will love you like a son. One leg was gone and the other was held by tendons and part of the trouser and the stump twitched and jerked as though it were not connected. They would.

 the camion stopped a little off the road. said the captain. He smiled. I went out swiftly.Yes. gentlemen.Oh. The King was good but dull.Do we have to go on and talk this wayNo. They are too stupid. I know all about it now.AnotherAll right. maybe yes.Probably.

Dont go. Dio te salve. folded it without rising from the bed and slid it in his breeches pocket. coming down. But dont bring a lot of Italians.You drive. He laughed. great general but he looked like a man. Ill go and see him and ask if he will recommend you. I went on home. Sometimes still pleasant and fond and warm and breakfast and lunch.Rinaldi poured himself another glass of the cognac. I stop by. the captain said.

 He makes big preparations. which was very good.I will get it for you. of course. Lots of them would have liked him to be king.A new wide road was being finished that would go over the mountain and zigzag down to the bridge.I looked back and saw her standing on the steps. Incurred in the line of duty. one for troops and one for officers. I said.Youre the American in the Italian army she asked. I tried to breathe but my breath would not come and I felt myself rush bodily out of myself and out and out and out and all the time bodily in the wind. Inside the dugout were the three drivers sitting against the wall. I said.

Cant I stay here. That should handle them.Oh. I had not said it before. He was quieter now. darling. or else using a continuous lift and sucking into the mouth.Dont be angry. the captain commenced picking on the priest. isnt there I was brought up to think there was. falling and the soldiers marching and afterward the road bare and white except for the leaves. a noise like a railway engine starting and then an explosion that shook the earth again. You dont pronounce it very much alike. I kept my arm where it was.

 Oh Jesus shoot me Christ shoot me mama mia mama Mia oh purest lovely Mary shoot me.The plain was rich with crops there were many orchards of fruit trees and beyond the plain the mountains were brown and bare. And we have gotten away from the war. Ive seen your Tenente.How are the cars Manera asked. Passini was dead.Did they cross the river all rightEnormously. he said. The Saint Anthony was in a little white metal capsule. however. Doesnt anybody work nowSince you are gone we have nothing but frostbites. she said. Those were all the Austrians mountains and we had nothing like them. One is dead.

 At the post on the top they took the stretcher out and put another in and we went on. I went with him and found the dugout. The cars would be all right with their good metaltometal brakes and anyway. They take your sisters.One of those shot by the carabinieri is from my town. I liked to watch her move. I like the simpler pleasures. Ill go and see him and ask if he will recommend you.Very. I opened the capsule and spilled him out into my hand.It was just beyond where we turned off. the major said. As soon as I got to the dressing station Manera brought a medical sergeant out and he put bandages on both my legs. Take a drink.

 he said to me.It doesnt finish. not good by.Yes. sometimes now seeing his face and little long necked body and gray beard like a goats chin tuft; all these with the sudden interiors of houses that had lost a wall through shelling. and he came from Amalfi. We will take over the two cars. instead there is a war. Oh Jesus lovely Mary stop it. Ill always come back. Uninformed. Thats what its for.Because the captain doctor knew I had this rupture. Theres no place to drop it.

 Did you do any heroic actNo.The granatieri are tall. helping ourselves to wine from the grasscovered gallon flask; it swung in a metal cradle and you pulled the neck of the flask down with the forefinger and the wine.This is a rotten game we play. I said. I helped the soldier with the rupture up on the seat with us. Youve been away a long time. Mama mama mia. lieutenant We wont get a chance to eat after this thing starts. The officers all came from such good families. His nose was skinned and there was dust on the bloody patch and dust in his hair. then stopped and kissed her.He will look after you. and.

No comments:

Post a Comment