Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Let him go to centres of culture and civilization.

 It would not finish it if one side stopped fighting
 It would not finish it if one side stopped fighting. You will be good to me. winefully. Helen. Its beautiful language. I said. sototenente (the thumb). The battery fired twice and the air came each time like a blow and shook the window and made the front of my pajamas flap. He spoke again in pidgin Italian. he said.Three hundred fives. the orderly said. Bassi said no that was no test because he had already drunk twice as much as I. please.

That doesnt matter. Hes very good. These V. she said. yes. said Rinaldi. I lied. There was a shadow from his hand on the wall.If you drop me again. I hope shes not ill. you have nothing to worry about if it doesnt infect and it rarely does now.Im awfully sorry. That left three.Rinaldi was talking with the other nurse.

 Now I must go back to sleep to be fresh and beautiful for Miss Barkley. sometimes now seeing his face and little long necked body and gray beard like a goats chin tuft; all these with the sudden interiors of houses that had lost a wall through shelling. You take it. We drove slowly in this matting covered tunnel and came out onto a bare cleared space where the railway station had been. The lieutenant said I slipped the truss on purpose. She came back from wherever she had been. Ill see the medical wallahs. He can be here until you are ready to take him.Wonderful. Not Bacchus. and come back like this. A shell had fallen and while we waited three others fell up the road. then stopped and kissed her. stepping carefully among the wounded.

There arent any four hundred twenties in the mountains.We two were talking while the others argued. baby. Here they would never have arrested him. darling.He stood up and put on his gloves. But its a rotten game. But I do with you. and stood up. Now they try to forget it. jaundice. We are mechanics. he said.You are sweet.

 Two for 132.She looked at me. my bed was made up with blankets and my things hung on the wall. The others were shouting. I breathed and I was back. so I asked to see you. They cant do that to everybody.One of those shot by the carabinieri is from my town. and if the car went especially fast it was probably the King. Inexperienced.I have brought him in. We understand you let us talk. said the lieutenant. It was one of those things that gave you a false feeling of soldiering.

 then stopped and kissed her. one of the captains said. I sat in the high seat of the Fiat and thought about nothing.The road was crowded and there were screens of corn stalk and straw matting on both sides and matting over the top so that it was like the entrance at a circus or a native village. brought by Gordini who looked very white and sick.Yes there is.Here.I guess youve got a fracture all right.Didnt you carry anybody on your back Gordini says you carried several people on your back but the medical major at the first post declares it is impossible.Ciaou! he said. Evidently it did not matter whether I was there or not.Yes. I will probably marry Miss Barkley.Whats the matterHe looked at me.

 Tenente Gavuzzi asked.You were sweet to tell me. hotter and slower than ever: then the stragglers. Halfway through the wine I did not want any more. Miss Barkley prefers you to me.Do you think it would be any good to try and see her tomorrowYes. and in the fall when the rains came the leaves all fell from the chestnut trees and the branches were bare and the trunks black with rain. Next week the war starts again. he said. are youOh.Whats the trouble the war. Walking home Rinaldi said.Also they make money out of it.Thank you very much.

 It was all as I had left it except that now it was spring. the major said. I come to see you again soon. Stop it.Thank God I did not become involved with the British. said Rinaldi. We are all splendid. Signor Tenente.I lifted it to arms length and the strands cleared.No. I said. there was a soldier sitting on a bench outside in the sun. And you play it as well as you know how.Yes.

 baby.Yes. the major said. I wished I were in Milan with her. I said. havent youYes. It was what I had wanted to do and I tried to explain how one thing had led to another and finally he saw it and understood that I had really wanted to go and it was almost all right.Lift it high.I guess youve got a fracture all right. Why dont you go to the hospitalThey wont let me. which every one ate very quickly and seriously. Tell me. Lots of them would have liked him to be king.There are three others.

 you know. Sometimes all niceness gone and glad to get out on the street but always another day starting and then another night. Put it on the floor. She was crying. They will love you like a son.Some of the officers went alone. she said. They have plenty of girls. drink that. There was a great splashing and I saw the star shells go up and burst and float whitely and rockets going up and heard the bombs.You are ignorant. you patriots.Whats to stop itIt will crack somewhere. he straightened up.

Theyll shell the   out of us. I tried to breathe but my breath would not come and I felt myself rush bodily out of myself and out and out and out and all the time bodily in the wind. The division for which we worked were to attack at a place up the river and the major told me that I would see about the posts for during the attack. and with the end of the summer. chilblains. without embarrassment. Goodnight. To the silver medal. I tried again and my legs moved a little. Henry.Goodnight.We went over toward Rinaldi and Miss Ferguson. Some one probably got it at one of the dressing stations. darling.

 and I knew I was dead and that it had all been a mistake to think you just died. He is the legitimate son of President Wilson. She stood up and put out her hand. There were troops on this road and motor trucks and mules with mountain guns and as we went down. out of the bandages. then took a bite of cheese.Which side is it onHere. Always with the girls.I know it is bad but we must finish it.Not Strega. I said.How is everythingSplendid. Some one probably got it at one of the dressing stations. When this road was finished the offensive would start.

 I said. I stroked her hair and patted her shoulder.Captain doctor (interested in something he was finding). I am positive you will get the silver. I have to go.Do you like itVery much. I thought. cheekfitted.You want us to stay here or can we look aroundBetter stay here. I liked to watch her move.This is the third day.Look. Passini was dead.So long.

 Passini said.Listen. said Bassi. That left three. I looked at her. I only write about what a beautiful place we live in and how brave the Italians are. We sat on the ground with our backs against the wall and smoked. Please. Not very well. the trees along the road had small leaves and a breeze came from the sea. I knew that I was hit and leaned over and put my hand on my knee. If they did. That major at the first post was a hogbutcher. Mr.

 Well crack in France. Rocca said.No. To your valorous wounds. I got a rupture. I translated. Go on.Yes.The adjutant. Id be glad to kiss you if you dont mind. I said.He likes it. and found we still lived in the same house and that it all looked the same as when I had left it. Let him go to centres of culture and civilization.

No comments:

Post a Comment