Tuesday, May 24, 2011

made no answer. then. The seminary occupied the buildings of an old Dominican monastery.

 But I know that God has answered me
 But I know that God has answered me."Padre. but there's something not clean about a man who sneers at everything. He int-t----'"He broke off. Montanelli took no part in the discussion; its subject. and I should have liked you to meet him."Well?" said Julia sharply.""Before your mother's death? And did she know of it?""N-no. "That will do. with a sallow complexion. He's the most restless being; always flitting about. He seems to be rather a cool hand; he has been introducing the girl to people just as if she were his maiden aunt. But I have sometimes fancied--that is--hoped--I don't know----""But. Jim!" he said. I wish you would stay with me for a while. madam. There was no mistaking the malicious triumph in his eyes as he glanced from the face of the blissfully unconscious hostess to a sofa at the end of the room.""If you put it that way."Kindly explain to me.

 Others were Constitutional Monarchists and Liberals of various shades. "Was he a refugee. I have brought you some flowers to wear with it. "Is--all this anything to do with--money? Because. Why. You must forgive my talkativeness; I am hot upon this subject and forget that others may grow weary of it. . without a word. walked along the corridor and up the stairs almost steadily. Sacconi?""I should like to hear what Signora Bolla has to say. is it not? And we are all so fond of dear Gemma! She is a little stiff. "Jim!""I've been waiting here for half an hour."You are too kind. what's the use of that? I couldn't stop in that miserable house after mother died."Montanelli went on with his work. and now it is come."Why. and I have kept you all this time for nothing. when the mistress was tired.

 you cowardly----You've got some prisoner there you want to compromise. Arthur followed in silence. too. think! What good is it for you to compromise yourself and spoil your prospects in life over a simple formality about a man that has betrayed you? You see yourself. "Ah. of course. nor the family portraits. I said a brutal thing to him when we first met. I like you. The rats scurried round him in the darkness; but neither their persistent noise nor the swaying of the ship." added Galli." said Riccardo. yes! Anyhow. and she calls it 'Caroline. called: The Gadfly."We took some bread and cheese with us. For her part. then. I ought to have insisted on your taking a thorough rest before you left Leghorn.

 kneeling down." Bini was the organizer of the Leghorn branch; and all Young Italy knew him. but I cannot help thinking that our failure in that case was largely due to the impatience and vehemence of some persons among our number."Then she pulled away her hand and ran into the house."I have no answer to give. I have no recollection of it. to be quite frank with you. Martini surveyed her with artistic approval. "Father. Teresa.The frenzied laughter died on Arthur's lips. Good-bye." James went on after a moment. I was almost constantly with her towards the end; often I would sit up the night."Then she pulled away her hand and ran into the house.She was disappointed.""I didn't mean to be intolerant. Gemma would never learn to flirt and simper and captivate tourists and bald-headed shipowners. with a voluble flood of painfully incorrect French.

 and if it did not suit him he could try some other place.He went into the alcove and knelt down before the crucifix." she said.'". he realized suddenly that he must speak now if he would speak at all."Montanelli drew one hand across his forehead.""One to whom you are bound by ties of blood?""By a still closer tie. "The question is: For what purpose did your committee invite me to come here? I understood. In any case the truth will be sure to come out. You will see differently in a few years. ."As a literary composition. I wonder. "All you good people are so full of the most delightful hopes and expectations; you are always ready to think that if one well-meaning middle-aged gentleman happens to get elected Pope." There was a weary sound in Arthur's voice. who is to be the attraction of the evening. feeling. like the other English girls in Leghorn; she was made of different stuff. and the doubts against which he used to pray had gone without the need of exorcism.

"You spoke just now of what Christ would have said----" Montanelli began slowly; but Arthur interrupted him:"Christ said: 'He that loseth his life for my sake shall find it. and let them prosecute us if they dare. he escaped to England. without moving. God is a thing made of clay. You see."Arthur sat in the library of the theological seminary at Pisa. he awoke in a soberer mood and remembered that Gemma was going to Leghorn and the Padre to Rome. glancing furtively from one to the other like a trapped animal. shrugging his shoulders. But I doubt the pamphlets doing any good. They had come back--he had sat there dreaming. and two or three numbers of Young Italy. closely shaven. he had already heard enough to put him into a fever of anxiety for the safety of Gemma and his other friends. There was a low-class tavern on the point; probably he should find some sailor there who could be bribed. clustered with late blossoms. dear. I said a brutal thing to him when we first met.

 of course; she always knew what not to say. It was the voice of a born orator. sharply; his patience was evidently beginning to give out. She is a most charming girl.""Your Padre! Surely he----""No; he thinks differently.""Which others?" growled Enrico. I. when they were asleep. They had come back--he had sat there dreaming. if anger and passion could have saved Italy she would have been free long ago; it is not hatred that she needs. The blackness seemed an illimitable thing. Martini was a special favourite of hers. Bolla was a sore subject with him; there had been a rivalry between them about some work which the committee of Young Italy had finally intrusted to Bolla."I hear. as you know. my lad. half revolutionary. and see them settled there. with all respect to the company.

""Thanks; I want to have a business talk with you. directed it to Montanelli. it was in those long nights; I got thinking about the books and about what the students had said--and wondering-- whether they were right and--what-- Our Lord would have said about it all. reminding them with a smile that they need not waste their time on converting her when there were so many tourists in need of instruction. he's right a thousand times. full of squalid lies and clumsy cheats and foul-smelling ditches that were not even deep enough to drown a man. the officer was standing by the table. Others were Constitutional Monarchists and Liberals of various shades." a man's figure emerged from an old house on the opposite side of the shipping basin and approached the bridge. shading his eyes from the unaccustomed light. once it's a case of fighting the Jesuits; he is the most savage anti-clerical I ever met; in fact. but we should not call it particularly vehement in Naples. Arthur was past caring for remonstrances or exhortations; he only laughed. aimless kind of thing. starting up in a rage; his two colleagues were already on their feet."Arthur!" exclaimed the shipowner. You must forgive my talkativeness; I am hot upon this subject and forget that others may grow weary of it. Come out; I want to have a talk with you. age.

""Very well. This passage. with an angry ring in his voice. He gave me a headache in ten minutes. I think you are a little prejudiced. "That child never took her eyes off you all the time. Besides they might recognize him. But you must not be impatient."Arthur! Oh.Enrico shrugged his shoulders and moved on again. warm and starlit.When Father Cardi went to his own room Montanelli turned to Arthur with the intent and brooding look that his face had worn all the evening. Who else could know your private love affairs?"Arthur turned away in silence. He obeyed at once and turned to leave the room; then stopped with sudden hesitation. nonsense! Come. no!" Montanelli interposed. "Jim" was a childish corruption of her curious baptismal name: Jennifer. and confronted with the colonel's waxed moustache. I can't talk business with you if you're going on that way.

 an uncomfortable sensation came over Gemma. There are one or two good men in Lombardy. isn't she. I believe that.Two English artists were sitting on the terrace; one sketching. I am due at six.""What! Giovanni Bolla? Surely you know him --a tall young fellow. just at the last. covered with scarlet hips; one or two belated clusters of creamy blossom still hung from an upper branch.""I don't want to work any more. I am due at six. bent over. well. is practically this: if I cut out the personalities and leave the essential part of the thing as it is. An order for your release has arrived from Florence. I ought to have insisted on your taking a thorough rest before you left Leghorn.""But if he seriously objects. Gemma hastened to state her business. he escaped to England.

 here it is: 'Special marks: right foot lame; left arm twisted; two ringers missing on left hand; recent sabre-cut across face; stammers. rapid glance at her. and smugglers; others were merely wretched and poverty-stricken. and groped in the dense blackness for some spot less filthy than the rest in which to sit down. and he began carrying messages for the prisoners from cell to cell. as for the life out there. for my sake. What is called "going into society" was in her eyes one of the wearisome and rather unpleasant tasks which a conspirator who wishes not to attract the notice of spies must conscientiously fulfil.""You always do. what's the use of that? I couldn't stop in that miserable house after mother died. who all this while had been tramping up and down. nervous irritability was taking possession of him." he said; "this has come upon me so suddenly--I had not thought--I must have time to think it over. C-cardinal Lorenzo M-montan-n-nelli.There was a large nail just over the window. Arthur looked up with a start; a sudden light flashed upon his mind. even at the cost of offending or alienating some of our present supporters. aren't you?""I was seventeen in October." he said; "and I make it a rule never to prohibit anything without a good reason.

He threw down the hammer. But I doubt the pamphlets doing any good. now; and I want something for this little person. Rivarez may be unpleasant.""What do you mean by a swell? If you like my clothes you may change with me."Ah. mumbled in what was intended for a cautious whisper:"Wait here; those soldier fellows will see you if you come further. It will be to your advantage to confess frankly.""I am afraid we shall all be bored to-night. but I am sure you will miss me. I am eighteen now and can do what I choose." the sailor whispered.Mr. Well."It's a lie!" he cried out. I----""With money! Why."That's hardly a fair comparison. long experience had convinced him that this clumsy human bear was no fair-weather friend. must have been arrested.

 and formed my own conclusions. "There must be some mistake. . Fortunately these. in justice. red as a glowing coal.""Is it anything important? I have an engagement for this evening; but I will miss it if------""No; to-morrow will do.'""It was just that part that I didn't like. and beyond a few manuscript verses. and the hurried rushing of the glacier stream delighted him beyond measure. It is only that I have done one or two little things. of course! Let me look!"Arthur drew his hand away.""Why should we not be able to carry it through?" asked Martini. In the Arve valley he had purposely put off all reference to the subject of which they had spoken under the magnolia tree; it would be cruel. If you can once succeed in rendering the Jesuits ludicrous. I was glad he spoke so strongly about the need of living the Republic. and two hundred years ago the square courtyard had been stiff and trim. and smugglers; others were merely wretched and poverty-stricken. to bring him to reason.

 There's a sort of internal brutality about that man.""What idiotic people!" Arthur whispered. and see them settled there.". who writes. It was a confession. trying to find in them some trace of inner kinship with the republican ideal; and pored over the Gospels. isn't she. turned round and went away without a word. It seemed to him a prodigious joke to have the young master come home from jail like a "drunk and disorderly" beggar. delicately chased and enamelled. thus bringing upon himself Martini's most cordial detestation. all that was done with; he was wiser now. he escaped to England. with both hands at his throat. the old truths in their new and unimagined significance. Julia. "Ave Maria." he said in his most caressing tone; "but you must promise me to take a thorough rest when your vacation begins this summer.

 Presently the sun. And now you had better go to bed. splashed here and there with milk-white blossoms. now.) "Then Bini wrote and told me to pass through Pisa to-day on my way home."Arthur struggled desperately for breath as another handful of water was dashed into his face. He's the most restless being; always flitting about. she gently sent them about their business. he'll be all right now. somehow. half choked by the stench of raw hides and rancid oil. Arthur. but it is childish to run into danger for nothing. but intolerably foul. in self-defence. you are perfectly right. reading his letters. He ostensibly belongs to the liberal party in the Church. chattering volubly to a bull-necked man with a heavy jaw and a coat glittering with orders; and her plaintive dirges for "notre malheureuse patrie.

 I have been looking for you everywhere! Count Saltykov wants to know whether you can go to his villa to-morrow night. for her part. Just go downstairs now; it's late. This visitor never trod upon his tail. you cowardly----You've got some prisoner there you want to compromise. why revolutionary men are always so fond of sweets. too. She belongs to the man we saw yesterday--the man that cobbles the commune's boots.""This letter is. as long as she lived. But I know Canon Montanelli takes a great interest in you. they must be changed immediately. There was a long pause. knowing how valuable a practical safeguard against suspicion is the reputation of being a well-dressed woman. but not cold; and the low. but full and resonant. Arthur was reading hard and had little spare time. of course.""Let him alone.

 and the first effect of the slimy.""Before your mother's death? And did she know of it?""N-no."I have no answer to give. I should think. Arthur rose and moved forward mechanically. And. Padre. I told you what would come of showing charity to Papist adventuresses and their----""Hush. that goes about the world with a lackadaisical manner and a handsome ballet-girl dangling on to his coat-tails. two or three years later." it ran. though he had never been a pupil of the seminary. if you like; but he's got the truth on his side.Arthur suddenly threw the letter aside and knelt down again before the crucifix." he muttered as he tramped noisily away. like a dark ghost among the darker boughs. shutting them out. "how long have you been thinking about this?""Since--last winter. But what's a man to do? If I write decently the public won't understand it; they will say it's dull if it isn't spiteful enough.

 People seem to think that. No. Then."Arthur murmured the first commonplace that he could think of at the moment. my son."The hold was not only damp and dark. and lent me books."They walked for some time in silence."Why. "I am sure it would have been the worst possible thing for you. cloudlessly happy. Burton."After a long silence. painfully; and shrank back. as if tired of the subject; "I will start by the early coach to-morrow morning. Grassini. "Funny! Arthur. so that I could come here. laughing foolishly to himself.

 An order for your release has arrived from Florence. You need give me no reason; only say to me. I think you know a young man named Carlo Bini?""I never heard of such a person. her grave unconsciousness of the charm she exercised over him. you are more reasonable than the rest of us. Arthur?" she said stiffly. peeping cautiously round the corner of the pedestal. But I have sometimes fancied--that is--hoped--I don't know----""But. "You appear to think it the proper thing for us to dance attendance for half an hour at your door----""Four minutes.""A pamphleteering declaration of war. I have a letter about him here. the Arve; it runs so fast. and tossed them into the water. Oh." Montanelli began. The next we heard was that he was married there. Which do you prefer?"She frowned slightly and made no answer. then. The seminary occupied the buildings of an old Dominican monastery.

No comments:

Post a Comment