Tuesday, May 10, 2011

But even the peasants know better than to believe in a war.

 But its a rotten game
 But its a rotten game.Why didnt we see the post when we came down Passini asked.Good Christ I said. I said. Shes a nurse.Yes. I said.I cut the cheese into pieces and laid them on the macaroni. Miss Ferguson walked away in the dark.Did they cross the river all rightEnormously. I said. He would loan them mess tins if they did not have them.

We drove fast when we were over the bridge and soon we saw the dust of the other cars ahead down the road. the smashed tunnel by the river where the fighting had been. to ride along the road across the plain and deliver the wounded at the two hospitals. One killed and the fellow that brought you. That left three.I see. Rinaldi carried a holster stuffed with toilet paper. loosely packed cigarettes that spilled tobacco and needed to have the ends twisted before you smoked them.I looked in her eyes and put my arm around her as I had before and kissed her.Ill get some. There were racks of rockets standing to be touched off to call for help from the artillery or to signal with if the telephone wires were cut.Wait a minute.

 depended to a considerable extent on myself.It is very valuable.Do you like itVery much.We were off the driveway.Hell say I did it on purpose.I stopped in front of the Villa Rossa.Do they ever shell that battery Tasked one of the mechanics. You get along very well without me. We understand you let us talk. They would. They want to get you the medaglia dargento but perhaps they can get only the bronze. though.

 Priest never with girls. It was quiet for a moment still.When I got back to the villa it was five oclock and I went out where we washed the cars. A mass loosened. People lived on in it and there were hospitals and cafe and artillery up side streets and two bawdy houses.Wed take quite good care of them and return them to the villa. although I learned it later. I was a fool not to.Im not drunk.I think you do not know anything about being conquered and so you think it is not bad.Come on.No.

 I just couldnt stand the nurseseveningoff aspect of it.Do you suppose it will always go onNo. and the strange excitement of waking and not knowing who it was with you. he said. It was hot walking through the town but the sun was starting to go down and it was very pleasant. You wont worry now. The road curved and we saw the three cars looking quite small. The grappa was very strong. dusty and tired. I said. father. He slapped the bed with his glove.

 My friend motioned for him to come in. The British hospital was a big villa built by Germans before the war. with the sun on it.How is everythingSplendid.No. went downstairs. I said. crossed the pontoon bridge. Some one was coming down the hallway.I walked behind her out into the garden. His shoulder was smashed and his head was hurt. the water blue like the sky.

 I went on home. It was impossible to salute foreigners as an Italian.Ca va bienCa va. I said. But millions of fools like you dont know it. In the dark it was like summer lightning. Youve had it before. We saw their white uniforms through the trees and walked toward them.It is probably to draw attention from where the real attack will be. And in the town we have beautiful English girls. I had not noticed her.We sat on the flat stone bench and I held Catherine Barkleys hand.

 The pain that the major had spoken about had started and all that was happening was without interest or relation. because they did not bombard it to destroy it but only a little in a military way. Ireland of Michigan. the gas mask in an oblong tin can. It looked wide and well made with a good grade and the turns looked very impressive where you could see them through openings in the forest on the mountain side.At dinner I ate very quickly and left for the villa where the British had their hospital. Oh.So long.The granatieri are tall.We wont quarrel. And then you are so very beautiful. They sat down and waited.

 the car looking disgraced and empty with the engine open and parts spread on the work bench. Im not. poured out into the glass held with the same hand; after this course.Nothing.No.About the soup.I know how you talk. The hall too.I dont believe it. holding below the target and trying to master the jerk of the ridiculous short barrel until I could hit within a yard of where I aimed at twenty paces and then the ridiculousness of carrying a pistol at all came over me and I soon forgot it and carried it flopping against the small of my back with no feeling at all except a vague sort of shame when I met Englishspeaking people.We shook hands and he put his arm around my neck and kissed me. sometimes now seeing his face and little long necked body and gray beard like a goats chin tuft; all these with the sudden interiors of houses that had lost a wall through shelling.

 He took my glass and filled it. that looked chalky white and furrowed. the window open and the sunlight coming into the room. as I said. Today I see priest with girls.Tonight you will tell me everything. or else using a continuous lift and sucking into the mouth.The captain.Oh. It is a successful coup de main. Come with me if you want. havent youYes.

 He brought them over to me. Where it had run down under my shirt it was warm and sticky. Outside the window it was a lovely spring morning. Bring him a glass of brandy. When I got home it was too late and I did not see Miss Barkley until the next evening.There was great laughter from everybody. and stood up. I smiled at the priest and he smiled back across the candlelight. They lifted me onto the table. I said. Id be glad to kiss you if you dont mind. Sometimes still pleasant and fond and warm and breakfast and lunch.

 said Rinaldi. he said. the captain said looking at the priest and at me.It is probably to draw attention from where the real attack will be. There were trees along both sides of the road and through the right line of trees I saw the river. We drank rum and it was very friendly. yes. New girls never been to the front before. Get out of here. It was not a pleasant trip to the dressing room and I did not know until later that beds could be made with men in them. I was cold and my leg hurt so that it made me sick. in the infantry.

 He held up the glass. Hes coming to see you. not good by. Every day I learn to do things smoother and better. They were bersaglieri.Thats what the priest said.A showI dont think its anything. Gordini could not drive. They were silent until I went out. I had been up the river to the bridgehead at Plava.I was going to cut it all off when he died. But even the peasants know better than to believe in a war.

No comments:

Post a Comment