Tuesday, May 10, 2011

They are brave and have good discipline.

You love Italy Rinaldi asked Miss Ferguson in English
You love Italy Rinaldi asked Miss Ferguson in English. close behind the lines. the trees along the road had small leaves and a breeze came from the sea. Maybe he was too goodlooking to be a.I took off my tunic and shirt and washed in the cold water in the basin.Thats a relief. It was what I had wanted to do and I tried to explain how one thing had led to another and finally he saw it and understood that I had really wanted to go and it was almost all right. You rarely find any one any good this close to the front. We two stopped talking and the captain shouted. A shell burst short near the river bank.Be a good boy and be careful.I like him.

I cant imagine lying like that. They told me you were on duty. Ill clean this up a little. Dont you want us never to attackNo. you see. I held her close against me and could feel her heart beating and her lips opened and her head went back against my hand and then she was crying on my shoulder. Drink that. Orderly. baby. Maybe the Austrians would crack. I said.We think.

 Goodby. father. Thats what its for. Passini said. He bit his arm and moaned. she said. the basins and the stoppered bottles.Cant I stay here. He was a tall man and wore steel rimmed spectacles. Rocca said.It was because we were scared. on purpose.

 That should handle them. Whats the matter with this machineIts no good. havent youYes.The adjutant. The road was screened because it was in sight of the Austrians across the river. You better not go up there drunk. and in the fall when the rains came the leaves all fell from the chestnut trees and the branches were bare and the trunks black with rain. Rinaldi saluted. that there had been three others.I did not understand the word. But I do with you.You speak English he asked.

 He would loan them mess tins if they did not have them.And what did he say asked the priest.Kiss me. Perhaps it start again. I must write some letters.I think you do not know anything about being conquered and so you think it is not bad. I went on home. I felt something dripping. the lieutenant said. I saluted and went out. He was sitting up beside one of the brick walls.Oh.

 I had not said it before. Tenente. Im sorry for your head. Ive seen your Tenente. said the driver in Italian looking at the hernia man. cheekfitted. and the major started us with red wine in mugs. He loves Franz Joseph.Yes there is. You do me a translation and I will send it to The Lancet. No.There isnt any place.

 With a girl it is painful. These V.Please lets not lie when we dont have to. Anybody may crack. thats nothing to how it will feel later. she said. Do you suffer much Have a drink. Anybody may crack. sometimes it stopped. as they fall from an icicle after the sun has gone. ha! he said.All right.

 But marble busts all looked like a cemetery. close behind the lines.I was very dusty and dirty and went up to my room to wash.Goodnight. Maria. Not Bacchus. We dont go out.A whatAn ignorant wop. But its very beautiful. he said. though. he said.

You are crazy. The town was very nice and our house was very fine. the car looking disgraced and empty with the engine open and parts spread on the work bench. Tenente. sitting in my trousers and an undershirt in front of the open window. The posts for the cars would have to be as near the river as they could get and keep covered. He was sitting up beside one of the brick walls. I asked him if there was a big dugout where the drivers could stay and he sent a soldier to show me. we are. And you play it as well as you know how.Oh.Are you very tired she asked.

 I turned her so I could see her face when I kissed her and I saw that her eyes were shut. how we did not do the things we wanted to do; we never did such things. So were all on very special behavior. I said. Ill not learn it in two weeks. You are my great and good friend and financial protector. After a while the stream from the stretcher above lessened and started to drip again and I heard and felt the canvas above move as the man on the stretcher settled more comfortably. Now everything is arranged. blunt-nosed ambulances. The cognac is under the bed. far below.No.

 And I never even talk English. that looked chalky white and furrowed.Hello. my bed was made up with blankets and my things hung on the wall.Oh.Have you done nursing longSince the end of fifteen. I said. I saw arched stone bridges over the river where tracks turned off from the road and we passed stone farmhouses with pear trees candelabraed against their south walls and low stone walls in the fields. Its a Saint Anthony. Tenente. I heard the machine guns and rifles firing across the river and all along the river. I said.

 I feigned acquaintance.An outside nation cant make you be a soldier. I tried again and my legs moved a little.What about eating.He walked across to the dressing station. Tenente.Well crack. New girls never been to the front before. If you must have a priest have that priest. Five stars. Go on tell me. Bring a glass. The Italian salute never seemed made for export. Profound wounds of right knee and foot.

Somebody said you should be able to learn it in two weeks. and if the car went especially fast it was probably the King. Stop it. I got down and went over.They were all eating.Good. I wished we had a Napoleon.The granatieri are tall.Must attack.I went back to the majors dugout and he said the field kitchen would be along and the drivers could come and get their stew. Whats the matter with you Do you want us to come outside and get himThe two stretcher bearers picked up the man under the arms and by the legs and brought him in. Its good.Not Strega.They are brave and have good discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment