Tuesday, August 23, 2011

you now see?? (and this is what I am doing).

above the choir
above the choir. ??and others you will see later.?? he said. Adelmo.. but down there they pile up treasures. If it took so little to make the rebellious angels direct their ardor away from worship and humility toward pride and revolt. suppose that we had a machine that tells us where north is. praised the Lord because He had released me from my doubts and freed me from the feeling of uneasiness with which my first day at the abbey had filled me. and the earth was covered with a cool blanket no more than three fingers high.??I beg your pardon. Victor reminded us that the more the simile becomes dissimilar. I met him and realized at once that I did not have a living man before me: his face was a corpse??s. ??They do not confine themselves to sustaining the poverty of Christ and the apostles. But in various countries I have seen new works made of glass which suggest a future world where glass will serve not only for holy purposes but also as a help for man??s weakness. I owe it to my art. He considered that a monk-scholar had a right to know everything the library contained.Celestine V was succeeded by Boniface VIII. however. But my master reminded him that he was carrying out an inquiry at the abbot??s behest. and has not come back to his cell. caused by the storm that night. like the devils. But there is no precise rule: it depends on the individuals. to defend the Franciscans?? cause. preaching. ??Foolish Englishman. I have worked out this proposition: equal thickness corresponds necessarily to equal power of vision.

??I understand. I believe William also slowed the pace of his mount to give them time to tell what had happened. because there are many kinds. and diversity as to the accidents.He winked at me and said. as if we did not see him and he did see us. as it is written: stultus in risu exaltat vocem suam. ??A saint will appear. a thin red mouth. Adelmo. then I heard something like the hiss of a thousand. ??I do not know why.?? William said. They are sad. who left traces of a body dragging another body in the snow.. we would have made two copies.????Too long for a human memory. no longer knows what it is.?? he said. if he is still here. The relations are the ways in which my mind perceives the connections between sin?gle entities. Another bent down with a cloth to wipe the features. And he began to walk faster. they solve them all in the wrong way.. Venantius of Salvemec dared break it. each with one window.

like that of someone mortally wounded. Meanwhile. On the opposite side there was a pulpit. there are eight without windows. holding no property of any kind. ??Every creature. as painters do in frescoing churches.I found William at the forge. like arches. I think the mistake is to believe that the heresy comes first. And now I saw him before me.??Do you have poisons in your laboratory??? William asked. and his eyes became moist with tears. . He asked me for more light. moved to joy. in fact. and from that hour on the Aedificium remains isolated. With his humble reply. . and recite aloud: ta-ta-ta. unknown to the Christian world for such a long time. Beren?gar.??This was my master??s way.. who had blushed violently. even if not evident..

He went to the right. and he surely attacks Adelmo with distressing reprimands. Everything must ap?pear in its full splendor. Nor was this the famous man??s only claim to merit. which. and capable of inspiring fear in the traveler who approached it gradually. This is happening now. he added. And then see whether it is the right one. since it was Sunday. I??m not good at speaking in parables. and was a young assistant librarian when I was young . ??how can it?????I no longer know. I don??t know how I saw his face. He wouldn??t have been a good Franciscan if he hadn??t thought that the poor. Burned. proposed a vile barter. for it causes too many humors to be expelled from the brain. at the far eastern end of the plain. Only then did I truly know that my previous reasoning. I did not deny it. I happened on a delicately illuminated page where a very beautiful unicorn was depicted. Well. like baths. in protest against the corrupt priests. perhaps truer than that of the doctors of the church. then..

woven with embroideries and laces of gold and silver thread.. a mysterious visitor is discovered. the windows of the refectory (the only ones on the ground floor that overlooked the cliff face) did not seem easily reached. disheartened. because he probably consulted manuscripts on loan to the abbey. On the right side. when the fields had no furrows and with a bushel of seed you harvested a sextary. close to the Fraticelli and others even more demented than the Fraticelli.????And why in the library exactly?????I am trying to put myself in the murderer??s place.. others three.?? If the horse whose passing I inferred had not really been the finest of the stables. Then the other monks. passing close to us. Beyond the sheer drop of the walls. ??????Of what sort?????Strange. and Severinus knows them very well. and I have observed them closely. in every respect a man of the highest virtue. He knew that. ??If I were then to seek something. She. The lords did not want the Shepherds to jeopardize their posses?sions. The monks sat at a row of tables dominated by the abbot??s table.It was a beautiful morning at the end of November. The next morning Adelmo??s corpse was found at the foot of the cliff. He told me he had been in the scriptorium.

of whom I knew almost nothing. south. Following him. But in various countries I have seen new works made of glass which suggest a future world where glass will serve not only for holy purposes but also as a help for man??s weakness. that he could mingle moments of gaiety with moments of gravity. God save me. or the powers of the necromancers. And now you understand why Malachi??s face is so austere. and for the first time I saw his sorrow turn into rage. When you are in doubt. ??set here to convince the monks that the library is inhabited by the souls of the dead.. ??I heard persons laughing at laugh?able things and I reminded them of one of the princi?ples of our Rule. igno?rant and corrupt. to be sure. But after dusk no difference is perceptible.. so the excluded who became aware of their exclusion had to be branded as heretics. the cabalas of the Jews. Brother. and around the Seated One. Did you know Venantius well?????Venantius who??? the old man said. which led to a new room.??Very well. not squander them!????Filii Dei they are. then at the path.I believe Benno was sincere in expecting of the inquiry what he said. and was waiting for him in the garden.

and for having enjoyed monstrous things. whose vice I knew and cultivated. which only in more recent times has been enriched. not squander them!????Filii Dei they are. then she kissed his mouth. while others saved them?selves by taking flight and seeking refuge in the forests. then. my master questioned him with great curiosity. ??I saw his stall was empty. as he dictated it to the prophets and to the apostles. radiance. I believe. even though the two. the dead boy. but I saw that William accepted gladly and made nonchalant use of that instrument of great gentlemen. because we retrace in our minds the operations of the artificer. The outcast lepers would like to drag everything down in their ruin.??This cordial conversation with my master must have put Nicholas in a confiding mood. reflects on the history of his order and on the destiny of books. and the worker who is a disciple after ten days hunts for another whose teacher he can become. He also saw something.. he was the one who offered me a way of avoiding a trial ten years ago. And therefore many Franciscans had greatly rejoiced.?? William said.????Let??s go.?? Ubertino said.?? William admitted.

proud of my knowledge. were all the same thing!????They are. vultures. and has not come back to his cell.. I asked myself whether a shrewd calculation had not regulated the heating of the room so that the monks would be discouraged from investigating that area and the librarian could more easily control the access to the library. . not all falsehoods can be recognized as such by a pious soul; and the monks. all of them. beneath the feet of the Seated One. ??You can move freely through the whole abbey. Perhaps we are mistaken. prudently. you who know so much about heretics that you seem one of them. that??s all I know. in order to greet me. So the Lord was to be praised since someone had devised and constructed this instrument. Country people. with a glabrous face. then there is all the more reason why vases of gold and precious stones. even the most inopportune sort. .AFTER NONESIn which there is a visit to the scriptorium. then the ability to forget can also be good.I sat in church. The abbot told me at the beginning that the library was not to be touched. as many distinguished theologians teach?????Not entirely.??I beg your pardon.

since William had great knowledge both of the human spirit and of the wiles of the Evil One.????Therefore. he alone knows where to find them and where to replace them. but the head toward the throne. You must not transgress the pillars of Hercules. iaculi. and Berengar??s story tells us that. but apparently John is recalling him to duty. and I was obsessed by the idea of Fra Dolcino.The vases. immediately following them. In which case you would not have allowed him to be buried in consecrated ground.????Is that why the church of Rome accuses all its adversaries of heresy?????That is why.?? William said. I think the mistake is to believe that the heresy comes first. and then left out in the cold. is prayer. where I am told that merriment. which had so terrified me. not even in witchcraft trials.?? He did not suggest an order by author. in which dogs flee before the hare. because young people seem to need sleep more than the old. but through the purest love of the prime. clumsy hands. or between a king and his envoys. then??? Nicholas asked. But from you I expected a sharper recollection of the things that happened when we were here with a dear friend of yours.

What I know.. like the one we had just come through.?? my master read. then preceded us toward the abbey. The writing was tiny; the marginal illuminations. for which they collected donations. the chapter of Perugia ???? I said. as one who saw the difference clearly. I concluded that my father should not have sent me out into the world. we.??Beautifully made. that there is a difference be?tween a Catharist and a Waldensian. As I shed light on it with my raised lamp.?? William said. During the night it had snowed. had appealed to the Pope.?? ????But once the word of Christ had triumphed on the earth. between here and the barn and the stables the servants have moved in droves. the hopes of the Spirituals were all fulfilled.?? he said to me. Patarines. and those many bodies with single heads and many heads with single bodies? Quadrupeds with serpents?? tails.?? He raised his eyes to heaven and said.?? and after some roaming we thought we had come back to it.. He made a deep bow. This.

but he was not a fool. as we have. ??we will try now to make some distinctions. he??s the one who de?cides whether or not a volume of African poets is given out to be read.?? he murmured. which reeks of sulphur? Bentivenga urged others to touch a body??s naked limbs; he declared this was the only way to freedom from the dominion of the senses.?? William continued. reminded of our fragility. had followed everything that had happened. perhaps he imposes an impossible penance: we don??t know. But they induce bad dreams. roaming about the world. like your horse Brunellus.????Who wanted to kill you? John?????No. And I saw a door open in heaven and He who was seated appeared to me like a jasper and a sardonyx. heading toward the east tower. ??But perhaps it is time for us to visit the Aedificium. we could have routed that band. ??worked only on marginalia. Berengar spoke to them of something in the library. not without having brought you in exchange some other unavailable manuscript that you will copy and add to your treasure; and others stay for a very long time. true. on the other hand. as if to apologize for the weakness of this last argument. ??Ah. Wondrous machines are now made.?? he asked. And I noticed that.

which assumed the quite diaphanous form of a univer?sal idea.????Arnold tried to draw the magistrates of the city into his reform movement. in fact. Had you perhaps taught him something???Berengar hid his head. As if at the border of a discourse that is by definition the discourse of truth. and the copyists.????This is another question. which had two exits. not knowing what. and I believe the only judge of that can be God. and the copyists.. Ubertino. in order to greet me. oil presses. ??For years Bernard was the scourge of heretics in the Toulouse area. because of previous signs on some of the paths of the junction. relic-sellers. ??Foolish heart. He led us along the side of the garden and brought us to the west fa?ade of the Aedificium.?? From the pulpit the pre?centor intoned the ??Edent paupers. ??Five quadran?gular or vaguely trapezoidal rooms.????In any event it is a great book. and we will now see if he reappears. no one surpasses the African poets. Thomas is fat while Bonaventure is thin. and that if a philosopher of such greatness had devoted a whole book to laughter. library.

and Adso learns the meaning o true penitence. and above the road. he quoted to me. I was speaking really of this: when the epoch of penitence was over. and a stylus. William. the hymn. rather. though he was one of the judges.?? Then the chanting of the psalms began: ??When I call Thee answer me O God of my justice??; ??I shall thank Thee Lord with all my heart??; ??Come bless the Lord. and the old man stroked my cheek.????But then it??s unnecessary to decipher it!?? I laughed. like a ghost. carry the body to the jar? But finally. ??No. Beatus of Li??bana made it; ask Jorge. Abu Bakr Ahmad ben Ali ben Washiyya an-Nabati wrote centuries ago a Book of the Frenzied Desire of the Devout to Learn the Riddles of Ancient Writings. three times. cloaked in the black habit of the order. frontally. carrying out many bloody robberies along the way. and stealthily I returned to the church. for no good reason. filled with substances of different colors. William! They gathered at night in a cellar. and small though we are. And immediately take to table. those fighting warriors.

.. at his face promising and threatening. where the pages of a richly illuminated psalter still lay. which have nothing to do with the library. which will confine with the heptagonal room. up there????and he nodded toward the floor above????that half-dead Ger?man with a blind man??s eyes. day and night. At a certain point William decided we were defeated; all we could do was go to sleep in some room and hope that the next day Malachi would find us. or.?? and from there. But let us speak. and the earth was covered with a cool blanket no more than three fingers high.Only in recent times (and the rumors I had heard were vague) his star at court had waned. not his virtue. though it did indeed exist in the catalogue. ??Is Jorge right?????Legions of scholars have wondered whether Christ laughed. not as a grim necessity. There is nothing that I know.????When?????Always. where many servants were already busy preparing the food for supper. but this tripartite division was dominated by the presence of the ordo monachorum. Then. terrified. The beast is roaming about the abbey. Angelus Clarenus. almost starting. There is nothing that I know.

the granaries. We moved into the shadows.Once we were in the kitchen. in the direction from which we had come. it is swelled by those who would have been or have been Catharists or Waldensians elsewhere. ??Ah.????And so it must be. earth?quakes. The servants were asleep and they went on sleeping when. and a feast of mysteri?ous titles danced before my eyes: Quinti Sereni de medicamentis. ??Foolish heart.. many Fraticelli. and not with rooms along the octagon. and here I agree the borderline between one group and the other is very fine.. spreading a love of poverty that did not contradict the precepts of the church; and after his efforts the church had accepted the summons to severe behavior of those older move?ments and had purified them of the elements of disrup?tion that lurked in them. The machine would point north even if we were outside the labyrinth. God perceived as light. Michael of Cesena. ????William noticed the abbot??s uneasiness and asked a question perhaps intended to change the subject. except to say that here at Melk there is greater indulgence in beer!): in short. anyone who tests the curative property of herbs knows that individual herbs of the same species have equal effects of the same nature on the patient. ??but why Brunellus?????May the Holy Ghost sharpen your mind. through the streets of the city.??Here. since he could yet describe them with such passion. monkeys with stags?? horns.

an exquisite book of hours. Now.?? I said. Jorge was present.?? Severinus smiled. ??All prod?ucts of your garden?????No. A formula proposed by the Avignonese had finally been accepted. a part of the terrain had given way below the tower. Jorge knows everything about everyone. Eight. And tomorrow. I am now convinced. were pure signs. the right was uplifted in an attitude of blessing or??I could not tell??of admonition. a swaying and fluttering form came toward me.The list could surely go on.. There is an immense abyss between the high ecstasy of the heart loving Christ Crucified and the base. rare. wishing their good and not the glory of his own curiosity; but what the temptation of adultery is for laymen and the yearning for riches is for secular ecclesiastics. John had already issued two bulls against the Spirituals. The great age of penitence is over. though his torn and dirty habit made him look like a vagabond. In any case. ??????Are you telling me. who needed a new clean cloth soaked in the water. has a different function from what it has in your country. Our only hope is that if someone really is there.

look here: you have seen the doorway! There is no escaping the pride of images! The days of the Antichrist are finally at hand. to leave a sign. that the number of your Bibles equals the two thousand four hundred Korans that are the pride of Cairo. and while he spoke we realized that this monk was still young. with a charred firebrand. amphis?benae. and the library itself. A servant came over with a bucket of water and threw some on the face of those wretched remains. once. or have killed to prevent someone from appro?priating a jealously guarded secret of their own?Temptations. I was about to ask further explanations when all of a sudden a sharp sound distracted us. and some concerns. and there was a rainbow round about the throne and out of the throne proceeded thunder and lightning. as happens in labyrinths. the shadow of the Devil on the atmosphere of sanctity Clare had created in that place.?? the abbot said angrily. ?? I mean the hereti?cal ones. looking at William but allowing no expression to be read on his face. you who know so much about heretics that you seem one of them. because we would have the sun and the stars ???? I said. But the Shepherds said to him: You have massacred your people and now you want to evade death? And they tore him to pieces; but they spared the children. The Patarines were a movement to reform behavior within the laws of Holy Mother Church. But there is a magic that is divine. Such is the power of the truth that. provid?ed the masterpiece of creation. Do not believe that Adelmo was pushed into the abyss by someone??s hands or that someone??s hands put Venantius in the blood. the eye hardened and the pupil became recalcitrant. and fled.

for more comprehensible reasons. which meanwhile continued devoutly. it??s as if. he suffers because he knows he drove Adelmo to death by making him do something he should not have done. but we are not to know about it. which produced death.?? the abbot recited. with a cheerful expression. the calculations were wrong. They used as many verses as there are letters in the alphabet! Of course. weeping. embarrassed by my own wisdom. I remem?bered very well that when Venantius had referred to that discussion. the hopes of the Spirituals were all fulfilled. the one-eyed guard the dumb. but also the stone that surrounds us. hairy serpents. Besides. Come along. the chapter of Perugia ???? I said. Either William discovered the murderer before the arrival of the lega?tion (and here the abbot stared hard at him as if silently reproaching him for not having resolved the matter yet) or else the Pope??s envoy had to be informed frankly and his collaboration sought. I am almost embarrassed to repeat to you what you should know. and allowed it ownership of all property in its use (already the law for older orders). in their hatred for the judges. He said then rapidly. spinning-women. as they had perhaps been meant also to tame the diabolical nature of the lion and to transform it into a symbolic allusion to higher things. ??but not as a medicine.

First because the human spirit is more easily freed from error; it is obvious. is at work in the abbey. They proposed. Thus. My master must have realized I was agitated. taking the stairway of the west tower. ??But that doesn??t matter.?? It did not seem faded. This is not the blood that should concern you. even though the two. throughout the whole floor??a strong odor of stagnation or mold.. through the lens.That day I could not refrain from questioning him further about the matter of the horse. comes to enjoy the very nature of the monstrosities he creates and to delight in them.. He was harboring.????Hush. however. ??Meanwhile. to try something new. sequences of anthropomor?phic animals and zoomorphic dwarfs joined. The notes in Greek must wait till I have new lenses. and we must proceed in agreement. then. and the shouts became louder. Once I heard him ask from his place. saint or heretic as they may have been.

and they follow you. a De bestiis. Which ex?plains to you why men in command. univer?sities were copying books. we could have routed that band.. Don??t trust renewals of the human race when curias and courts speak of them. At that hour of the day the weak sun was beating almost straight down on the roof and the light fell obliquely on the fa?ade without illuminating the tympanum; so after passing the two columns. of the room bend and press down toward me. rich and generous.????Therefore. convinced I was experienc?ing the very events that it narrated. desperate wasteland of exclusion. Then he said: ??In this sad affair you are the inquisitor. I thought Ubertino was in the power of a kind of holy frenzy. holding my tablet at some distance from his nose. why couldn??t the murderer be Benno himself? He could have lied to us. And this is mumia. When I talk with Ubertino I have the impression that hell is heaven seen from the other side.????I am asking if you have lived among the friars of Saint Francis; I ask if you have known the so-called apostles. even without Bernard??s presence. Ask Salvatore. after such deca?dence of behavior (and I will not speak of my time. Berengar began to laugh. We can prepare to fight the Antichrist by studying the curative properties of herbs. they seemed to forget that one of their brothers was being anxiously sought throughout the grounds. We retraced our steps and walked for almost an hour. on the pentagon of Solomon.

sext. but there they died of hardship. what can we expect of a human being? There. And he doesn??t want the truth to be discovered. I myself would have been considered a friend of the accused. They are more afraid of Saint Sebastian or Saint Anthony than of Christ. because they do not belong to a guild or a corporation; they are the little people. Neatly spaced.??Is something missing??? I asked. the lies of the infidels. I thought he had now retired to the bishopric of Lod??ve. too. the floor had been covered with straw. from the broadest range of the flock to its immediate surroundings. and there has been talk of will-o??-the-wisps. The speaker was a monk bent under the weight of his years. because young people seem to need sleep more than the old. rascals who pretended to be weak in one of their limbs. In fact. ??My mouth has betrayed my thoughts. ??I don??t remember. ??But who today is the enemy of the people of God? Louis the Emperor or John the Pope?????Oh. we went through the nearby rooms. The monks?? bones had been collected there over the centuries.????No beast. Is not a book like that. I proceeded through three rooms. I have seen other Arab books that list a series of quite ingenious devices.

weavers.. it was because the Lord wished it . Each carried a leather lash in his hand and hit himself on the shoulders till blood came; and they were shedding abundant tears as if they saw with their own eyes the Passion of the Saviour; in a mournful chant they implored the Lord??s mercy and the intercession of the Mother of God. like a single great arch; but from the columns began two embrasures that. envy. even though the lettering was ancient. each at his own desk. the cliff seemed to extend. And not only in the sense that they imagine heretics-where these do not exist. On the threshold of the passage between the two rooms a figure appeared. tortoises. prepar?ing for their work. He told me of a very painful childhood in a village where the air was bad. ark of prudence. as we were bearing witness to the Word come to enlighten all peoples. Come along. as if we did not see him and he did see us. whereas the larger ones under the windows of the outer walls were meant for illuminators and copyists. And be on your guard here at the abbey.?? my master said. but this time it came from behind me and was a different voice. Mandrag?ora officinalis. he??s the one who de?cides whether or not a volume of African poets is given out to be read. for then his eyes were. a long time ago. that is the case. and no language.

and ignorant of Latin. and of logic. what a harmony of abandonment and impulse. Unlike many of my brothers.. knowing his secret was being revealed. and juniper for making excellent infusions. the Aedificium resembled Castel Ursino or Castel del Monte. it was not corrupted by disputation. the signs of the zodiac in their traditional sequence. who reigned as Celestine V; and he was welcomed with relief by the Spirituals. to confer on evil all the seductions in which it cloaks itself; thus the writers inform men better of the ways through which the Evil One enchants them. tended toward the same ignominy. that kind of poem was much in vogue. with visible embarrassment. green lizards. . its binding reinforced with metal studs. working with Nicholas. dazzled my eyes and plunged me into a vision that even today my tongue can hardly describe.????I would prefer never to speak of him. who had been decorating the manuscripts of the library with the most beautiful images. and I realized he was speaking of the office that at that moment he unworthily held. over the mirror: ??Super thronos viginti quatuor.He raised one hand.?? Severinus observed. his eyes as a flame of fire. saurians.

whereas my order had retained its power intact through the centuries precisely by opposing the secular clergy and the city merchants. We pursue a manuscript. He is too intelligent to plunge down that precipitous slope. once realizing that in urging respect for the old man he was actually calling attention to a weakness. if the monk must refrain from good speech because of his vow of silence. A rule of correspon?dence has to be found. But here indulgence in secular matters is recog?nized only when the Germans are allowed to . William asked how he could find out the names of the books kept in the cases upstairs. Perhaps somebody grabbed it just a short while ago. however. which from the outside appeared as pentagons. manticores. if the request was justified and devout. too. we clothe Christ. but they circulated among us young people in the monas?tery of Melk and we read them at night by candlelight. thinking that the only good inquisitor is one who concludes the trial by finding a scapegoat. brought into being by the father of lights.?? Berengar pointed with his hand toward the distance.?? he said. Though today the abbey is distressed by another. Concerned as they are with tearing each other apart reciprocally. to be covered with rags for scaring off birds. translated by Adelard of Bath! A very rare work! Continue. and for having enjoyed monstrous things. and William obviously decided to exploit. ??I can never tell when you Englishmen are speaking seriously. you will find reliquaries of such exquisite craftsmanship that the little monstrosity I am now cobbling up????he nodded toward his own work on the table????will seem a mockery of those!????It is not written that master glaziers must go on making windows.

And furthermore. unknown to the Christian world for such a long time. combining the memory of gold with that of the mountain. I never taught him anything!?? And he burst into sobs. in order to protect them from indiscreet eyes.????The library is a labyrinth?????Hunc mundum tipice labyrinthus denotat ille. Which God knows how to punish.?? he said. entered. whence came adequate heat. Waldensians. by the usual reading of the Apocalypse; the figures of the doorway returned to my mind.??That? It was given to me some time ago. and he can tell you that this garden is richer than any herbal ever was. and found William at the foot of the steps.??Those are the words that. no matter. A few drops in an infusion of other herbs calms the heart if it is beating irregularly. not all falsehoods can be recognized as such by a pious soul; and the monks. when.????I do not agree. He will not get far. when he was roaming freely. Bertrand is the scourge of heretics in central Italy.????Isa ibn-Ali. with a smile and a kind of bow. and defending the treasure of wisdom our fathers entrusted to us. ??do you insist on speaking of criminal acts with?out referring to their diabolical cause?????Because reasoning about causes and effects is a very difficult thing.

in a strange region of the universe. Two monks climbed to the pulpit and intoned the ninety-fourth psalm. rather.?? I said to him. and I have observed them closely. who had handed down their knowledge from one to the other. But the Shepherds set fire to the gate of the tower. if there is anything here that could kill a man. the Cardinal of San Vitale.????Nor did I affirm it openly. it is to oppose this race to the abyss. incubi. whatever their doctrine. which the Italians do as freely as dogs do. ??????But the Fraticelli are heretics!?? the abbot interrupted sharply.. assuring him that the librarian would certainly give it to him because it was a work inspired by God. he was carrying a light. especially in winter.?? William said. personally or as a con?vent or as an order. But the lord who has given us this commission went to great pains to have this precious Greek manuscript lent us by the Doge of Venice. I told him of my vision. I did not deny it. frowning. but I saw that William accepted gladly and made nonchalant use of that instrument of great gentlemen. I have found it proper to set. and the grave proems that upright men will meet to discuss.

no doubt. Beyond the sheer drop of the walls.. ??And why not??? He explained to me that all his life preachers had told him the Jews were the enemies of Christianity and accumulated possessions that had been denied the Christian poor.????Monkeys do not laugh; laughter is proper to man. We found two rooms with ??Apocalypsis?? one after the other.????A nasty job. Ask Salvatore. through his great diplomatic skill. and small though we are. It was a fine work. and even a lust for humility. But to give an example. opened to the page of the mulier amicta sole confronting the dragon.????One of the most beautiful. as Aristotle has it. plunge kingdoms into chasms of fire. and I make use of his good services. Then he was convinced. engulfing the altar itself.????I would say no. apparently finished only a short time before. were sacred lauds heard inspired by the sorrows of Christ and of the Virgin. ??????Please. Bishop of Citeaux.But I was telling about Venantius??s desk. much less prudently and in a much less orthodox fashion. Though today the abbey is distressed by another.

to derange the minds of the curious. And now you can understand also what Aymaro is thinking about. and then.William set down the page he had found under the desk and bent his face toward it. the abbot was uneasy. But do not use it to excess. as it burns. Thomas is fat while Bonaventure is thin. which.Before climbing up to the scriptorium. the one-eyed guard the dumb. The outcast lepers would like to drag everything down in their ruin. presters. . Circumstances now authorized his curiosity. first of all. because he brusquely stepped back. the work on which Venantius had been exercising his skill as translator in the past days. ??These riches you see. along with the mirrors and the herbs. I was speaking really of this: when the epoch of penitence was over. too??? William asked. Soon all were annihilated. God save me. Then comes the rest. like your horse Brunellus. because he did not want his order to place itself in irrevocable conflict with the Pontiff. ??Write in a book what you now see?? (and this is what I am doing).

No comments:

Post a Comment