Sunday, August 14, 2011

thousand times. Each town we got to was scorched and empty. helmets gleaming in the sun. it was said.

Nico
Nico. For the first time.Father. galloped down the line on their crested mounts. and were left. Though I wanted to weep for my fallen friends. It was a slaughter. wagons.A gasp escaped from those on shore. whatever dream of freedom or wealth had brought me here. One false step would mean a grisly death.Everyone in town stood and stared. Then our dispirited army headed farther south. in formation. The Turks.THE TURK'S SWORD hovered over me. his reputation as a seer suffered. Men fell. Each year I promised I would come back. Guillaume's mount seemed to stumble. which Nicodemus had taught me. raiders.

. and the head of a man next to me shot off like a kicked ball. Professor? and the old Greek muttered only. God had taken me where I belonged. hollow look of men who have seen the worst atrocities and somehow lived. raped. one mind.I placed the scabbard in my pouch. my fear left me. And I. another charge? Weary and frightened soldiers around me moaned in disbelief.. Nico...Themetal trade. Norcross smiled. rumors reached us of Christians inside the city being tortured and raped. falling to his knees. On the fate of your soul. They threw both into the middle of the square.I threw my pouch over my shoulder and tried to drink in the last sight of her beautiful.

trails more nerve wracking than the last. It seemed to stretch out forever. have been fed to dogs; cherished vials filled with drops of the Savior's own blood. Word has reached him that a rabble passed through here a day ago.I was heading home to Sophie. never sheltered.As we waited for the word.. I saw a cross. I tried to pivot around Robert. It was broken only by Aim?e's whimpers as she emerged weak-kneed from the mill. and blackened with grime and enemy blood? Would she still laugh at my jokes and tease me for my innocence after what I had seen and known? If I brought her a sunflower.I called her my princess. I was a different man. gnashing their teeth as if they wanted to devour the enemy alive. I saw Sophie there at her father's inn. his head rolling away from him. It looked like bronze. Norcross nodded. The singing stopped.now . eager to share in the spoils.

. He would give up the city..I looked into his hooded eyes. Just like when we were children. one mind. and thin. he rushed toward me. a vassal of Bohemond. Hugh? Her eyes locked on mine. insisted that the scouts and maps suggested a point to the south.Robert! I screamed. Battle-thirsty men in tunics with red crosses lopped off heads and held them aloft as if they were treasure. These savages had chopped to pieces the last shred of humanity for me in all this hell..not for silver and soap. This happened. Several other people. Red-crossed soldiers stormed through the streets. Men. If one of our illustrious leaders hears you. No doubt they are cousins of your goose.

clattering across the church's floor. I noticed her peeking at a rehearsal. And I. Haven't I always been true to our lord. I resumed. I had gone into the hills to pick it early that morning. At first we were glad to leave the inferno behind.Before this day I had never taken a life.If it's martyrs you're looking for. Mouse among them. Yet I was dying for this cause anyway. I tried to pivot around Robert. he shrugged to his comrades. A few straggly horsemen. all the young who had so eagerly signed up. Other soldiers who had reached the rocks crossed themselves.As far as the eye could see. until his powerful body resembled some hideous slab of meat and not the noble soul he was. It was broken only by Aim?e's whimpers as she emerged weak-kneed from the mill.WE BURIED THE DEAD for six days straight. the poor mule toppled over the edge and fell into the void. No reason to make one less.

Who knows what I might find there? There are tales of riches just for the taking. she said.Robert! I screamed. I have something important to talk to you about. and said.But look. Finding nothing. You could die. One by one.There's one more thing.Outside Civetot we had our first taste of the enemy. For what end?Why did you spare me? I looked into the Turk's dull. the trail ahead was lined with large white rocks. There was nothing more to say.I gave a last wave to Sophie.father.See ? One more time. turned and fled from the walls. screaming.To my surprise. There was no way to defeat this horrible monster. side by side.

But this was magnified a thousand times. The Turks fled like rabbits.But not a man among us cheered. The detachment at Xerigordon had already been done in-not by siege butthirst.Nicodemus grasped for the rope. I noticed a glimmer coming from under a rock. Its frightened eyes showed that the animal was aware of the danger.All but one. so we decided to enter the town.Many knights sank to their knees in prayer. Hurry. choking Alo go under one more time.I was able to grip the strap of the leather satchel slung over his shoulder.Norcross began to turn the wheel. still eyes. tumbling. his rush was intercepted by Robert.. Goodness. Show them whose God is One. I could not hold it back. if only I could hold her one more time.

they were not defending themselves. realizing how close we had come to death.It was love at first sight for us. I saw men clearly over the edge guzzle their own urine as if it were ale.I saw disaster looming.Then a torch waved over the north tower. charged at me with a scream. people shouted. A wave of our own cavalry went out to meet them.Steady that animal.. It seemed to stretch out forever. their chargers useless. And Robert too. was next to me in line.I grabbed Robert by the tunic and dragged him farther away. wielding the dagger that was still covered with the priest's blood. Idid see. Hugh.Peter's army has crushed the infidels.Every instant. And so wasour song:A maiden met a wandering man / In the light of the moon's pure cheer.

and continues along. Other soldiers who had reached the rocks crossed themselves. suddenly. Men lined the shore.There were some early successes. fortune-all that left me as if it had never been there. had turned toward me. I will be back.Nicodemus started to answer. Mouse called to me. Men lined the shore. rumors reached us of Christians inside the city being tortured and raped.Are there any believers here ?He was pale and long nosed. Our weapons came together in a mighty clang.The giant man hesitated. two miles. to pick sunflowers for you.I will help the miller increase his tax by a third.The nobles pushed us hard.Then all at once a chilling roar rose up from behind the city walls. I was a different man.As he made his way back across the square.

Others. tired mules and plow horses. like an eighth-moon. I heard Sophie scream. This happened. Men lined the shore. Hugh. if I truly believed. not some moth-eaten hermit.Every instant.For freedom? Suddenly.Themetal trade. from the same building.As I looked at my murderer. tired mules and plow horses. That night..Sophie. And Robert too. think of how our lives could change. she said. I heard Sophie scream.

I was no hero.. I whispered. Each year I promised I would come back. It appeared to be gilded with gold and it was studded with what looked like rubies. the slower and more treacherous every step became. It bounced off with the effect of a pebble tossed against a wall. On the fate of your soul. yelping and hacking at those who met them. our commander. I thought about what weapons were at my inn and how we could possibly fight these knights if we had to. The strangest urge overcame me. suddenly. their chargers snorting heavily.She stopped and smiled at my plain flax tunic and calfskin vest. Are you ready.thirty. Others. teetering over an immense chasm.Themetal trade. there is a third sign. but never had I seen a place like this! Gold was like tin here.

' everyone cheered. Sophie. Infidels. Cries of Death to the pagans andDei leveult .mapmakers. Professor.I didn't pray. I simply could not hold back.Nico . The rows of red crosses sent a shiver right through me. For what end?Why did you spare me? I looked into the Turk's dull.After a month. Our entire town gasped in horror. Men. Kill the pagans and sit with the Lord in Heaven. I heard nobles disagreeing on the proper spot to ford the river. Mouse among them. neatly fitting it back into a whole. Our division captain ordered us to follow.I was heading home to Sophie. A friend had died. And it was vast-thousands of them! Not fitted out with armor or uniforms.

He carried Alo.The nobles pushed us hard.The trail we walked was flat and manageable.A gasp escaped from those on shore.I came upon a Christian church. He went and cupped the face of the cowering boy in his massive hand. wildly gasping for air. and outlaws hoisting their sacks and makeshift weapons. You are free!EVEN IN VEILLE DU PERE. It was broken only by Aim?e's whimpers as she emerged weak-kneed from the mill. I will make you a map.I am finally free. A few straggly horsemen.There was a shriek. Then-eerie silence. Each summer.I will never forget that deafeningwhoosh. No reason to make one less. but there was little to find amusing. lightweight cottons and silks.I gave a last wave to Sophie. whatever dream of freedom or wealth had brought me here.

amused. Full battle gear. screaming. barely wide enough for a cart and a horse..at me.. Norcross smiled.. just sixteen. Buildings were torched. A sea of white tunics and red crosses. bread to eat. The monk Peter mounted his donkey.I looked at the fallen Turk and whispered good-bye. as tall as the highest towers. I begged. then he nodded.Robert ran ahead to hurl one of the rocks toward the walls.Guillaume's horse waded in. dressed up in ornate robes.I heard voices outside.

towns scorched and plundered dry.Freedom . We'd touched souls. I wanted freedom for Sophie and the children we would have one day. counting the beats that Alo remained under. threadbare. How could anyone but a devil have such bright red hair? she said. Hugh. but they fell against the massive walls like harmless sticks. Reach up your other hand.The Tafurs came upon him with their swords and awful clubs. They were not wearing crosses but filthy robes. urged by His Holiness Urban to lead an army of believers to the Holy Land to free the holy sepulchre from the heathen hordes. not a noble anywhere.. The Turks fled like rabbits. No doubt they are cousins of your goose. But soon we understood it was not embarrassment but the weight of Guillaume's armor that was preventing him from pulling himself up. quickening peals-echoing through town in the middle of the day. for some kind of dagger. Stalls and markets were crammed with the most exotic goods. dressed up in ornate robes.

Soon they were battering again at the gate.. lashed Alo to the staves of the mill's large wheel. our burden had seemed bearable. of such chilling proportion that we thought we had entered a valley of demons.Norcross finally began to raise the wheel.Hold your tears.We focused on the eastern wall. Nothing ever happened here!I was struck with a kind of wonderment.I saw the outline of a smile from her. It looked like bronze. even heroic. Whatever I thought I was fighting for. but never had I seen a place like this! Gold was like tin here. Hundreds of men were gathered there. Tafurs. I told the eager lad. I've come to carve the Turks. All I could think to utter was. Who knows? I smiled. eager to share in the spoils. I think the duke's point is adequately driven home.

I did not know where I would go. It was a host of lies. At the total ridiculousness of it all.Peter's army has crushed the infidels. This time. ? I repeated.tonight !Tonight.Suddenly I heard shouting from up ahead.They passed by me on their way to loot the church.We gazed at each other with a sigh of relief. then attend harder to your work. Then he pressed his heavy boot into my neck. Hugh? he asked with an eager smile.It was a slaughter. I saw knights wearing the purple-and-white colors of Baldwin of Treille. So did my urge to resist. I heard the loudest chorus of voices. my lord.I pushed Robert through the smoke and dust in the direction of our ranks. the monk said in a surprisingly strong voice. Nico had made pilgrimages to the Holy Land and knew the language of the Turk.Your lord asked me to impress upon you.

Yet all I could do was laugh. I could mark them only by the sores oozing on my feet. this old tomb was what we were fighting for.But as I held Sophie that night. crowding the massive walls. a fiery-eyed Turk. I pumped out my chest. Everyone pointed at a walled city nestled into the isthmus's edge.I am finally free. right? taunted Mouse..In front of us a young woman ran out of a burning house. but it didn't take a seer to divine that he was lying. with its huge glittering domes. my love. People I had known for years shouted. We were heading down.In front of us a young woman ran out of a burning house. from infidel spies. from the same building. lashing the boy's wrists and ankles tightly to the water wheel. A golden cross.

. One was Nicodemus.Please. sucking in precious food. carts overladen with supplies.I know that is a pile of shit.I just laughed. most of all. Are you taking notes?The raucous laughter continued for a time as we waited for the knight to emerge. Then the trumpet sounded again. Children playing ball in the square dived out of the way.The lead Tafur delivered one more blow to the bloody mound. What goes in all stiff and stout. while our nobles fought and bickered among themselves.Stumbling on a ledge.I know that is a pile of shit.You probably thought you were ridding the world of a complete madman. Then the devils moved on to us. You could die. then fled into the hills like children hurling stones. No one had ever seen anything like it before.In Caesarea.

the boy strung up on that wheel could be our own. I thank God for how lucky I am. watching me go off.' everyone cheered. I had sworn in my heart to protect him.Good Lord .I swear. A ways back on that last ridge. You saw what happened today.My attacker hesitated.. They swept toward us like hunters chasing a hare. and then a shout. I heard the sound of bones cracking. have been fed to dogs; cherished vials filled with drops of the Savior's own blood. he said. maybe four feet long.I counted to thirty. Nico's trick had worked. was it the Crusade?A ripple of tired laughter snaked through the exhausted ranks. All I saw was the glimmer of his studded glove as the hilt of a sword crashed across my skull. six thousand strong.

.Our catapults flung giant missiles of fiery rock. and looked toward me. Hortense disappeared. unconvinced. Sophie sniffed. Hugh. You don't look like much of a Crusader. Hugh. don't worry. They swept toward us like hunters chasing a hare. He charged at me once more. They swept toward us like hunters chasing a hare. Only last week did you not have two sons?My son Matt has gone to Vaucluse. You could die. if only I could hold her one more time. actually. It was all that kept him from plunging to his death. my sword flew out of my hands. Whoa.Outside Civetot we had our first taste of the enemy.I swear.

Soon he comes to another sign.I swear.No. roaring with cheers. choking Alo go under one more time. `Sisters of St. Above me. We continued to climb. taught me Latin. overcome. and often during the day: that last image of her. You must let go.And who areyou .Please. That bird had walked across Europe with him! Many felt our luck had run out along with hers. I was sure. And at the head of this assemblage. pulling along the animal behind it to which it was tied. But this was magnified a thousand times. Each town we got to was scorched and empty. helmets gleaming in the sun. it was said.

No comments:

Post a Comment