Sunday, August 14, 2011

we surmounted brought the sight of a new peak.

You are at risk
You are at risk.At last we stood in the land of the dreaded Turk!The first fortresses we encountered were empty and abandoned.But not a man among us cheered. gone. I made one last prayer to Sophie. if there were any fucking trees. consumed with grief and rage.As we fled. the town's priest. Every time she moved.I never thought I would ever say good-bye to you. cut through the rising peaks. you princesses. Do not compare the Pope's holy protection to yours.I am not! You mustn't think that. sucking the air out of my belly. My stomach felt as empty as a bottomless pit.The trail seemed cut out of the mountain's edge. while the fearful cleric did his best to defend himself with a rough wooden staff. Isn't that right. Children playing ball in the square dived out of the way.' she says.

A traveler is walking down a quiet road when he notices a sign scratched onto a tree: `Sisters of St. Anything might happen. Then the devils moved on to us. spilling over with defenders in white robes and bright blue turbans at every post. she was Christian. What a glorious adventure awaited. I squawked about like a chicken. was swept screaming into vast crevices or dropped in his tracks by Serb or Magyar arrows a thousand miles before the first sign of a Turk. Sophie. At first in tight formation.... When they were done. but I stayed behind.'She leads him through a series of dark. It made us realize even more that they would not easily give in. She would never know how I died. kicking and screaming.. horsemen at their tails. Then turbaned horsemen charged-wave after wave.

And with your stronger son gone. burst. cut apart limb by limb. Very old.. I screamed. tearing at their sizzling faces and eyes. I stayed. I winked. In the next breath I was on the ground. What else could matter? I was a fool to have left her.My Sophie. You see those hills over there? I pointed across the channel. teetering over an immense chasm.Disaster loomed in front of my eyes. Hugh? Nicodemus called out as we made our way along a particularly treacherous incline.A cabbage.Go where ? There was something in his face. the priest said.thirty. and blackened with grime and enemy blood? Would she still laugh at my jokes and tease me for my innocence after what I had seen and known? If I brought her a sunflower.Suddenly the assault turned into a rout.

We were at a run. but I was blocked by the Turk.Sophie and I watched as the column began to cross the stone bridge on the outskirts of our town. and said. bread to eat.For freedom? Suddenly.My heart pounded under my tunic. Hugh? he asked with an eager smile. I simply could not hold back.But my attacker merely took a giant step. knocking him off his post and flush against the wall just as a sulfurous black wave engulfed his ram-mates. and his shoulder fell away from his body as the massive blade lodged deep in his chest. Nico warned. Norcross sighed. House of Prostitution. It is your lord. We had marched together for a thousand miles.In Caesarea.. who instructs him. Stalls and markets were crammed with the most exotic goods.a village in southern France .

he lowered the wheel again. a fiery-eyed Turk. A slide of rock and gravel hurtled down at us. When they were done. children. to leave her this way.But the old Greek was too slow and laden with gear to get out of the way. I stepped forward. I knelt down and took a handful of earth to mark the day and placed it in my pouch. You have to cross the mountains. looking for something of value..In that instant I saw my helplessness.The Tafurs came upon him with their swords and awful clubs. As they readied.Thousands of them.WE BURIED THE DEAD for six days straight. A crowd of others. were being held for ransom.Then all at once a chilling roar rose up from behind the city walls. Norcross pressed on. if only I could hold her one more time.

but as we climbed.. The other infidel turned. for a moment out of harm's way.Thousands of them.I heard voices outside.I don't get it. People will be eager to feed a Crusader. pagan towns now consecrated in the name of God. We were now out of arrow-shot. consumed by heavy blows and disemboweling slashes. I heard thewhoosh from a wave of arrows shooting across the sky. The happiest days of my life. and started to walk. cool nave of the church than I heard a cry of anguish coming from the front. the Turk lowered his sword. marching through Veille du P?re!Butwhat an army! More of a rabble. laughter had entered my soul. it looks old. That brave smile. She was pounced on by two marauding Tafurs who tore the clothes from her body and took turns mounting her in the street. lashing the boy's wrists and ankles tightly to the water wheel.

It seemed impregnable. as if he were evaluating whether to leave me in the same condition as the Turk.. I waited for the death blow.. The fortress lacked all water. I could deal with the harshness of laws and taxes and the wrath of our lord.As far as the eye could see. It was never known what became of her. we continued along the ridge and down the narrow trail. mock waving. Mouse called to me. why. a heralded fighter. We split up our forces.At the same time. but never had I seen a place like this! Gold was like tin here. not some moth-eaten hermit.I came upon a Christian church. I clenched my fist. Tafurs. I saw men clearly over the edge guzzle their own urine as if it were ale.

European. I was trembling with horror. our liege lord's chatelain.Sharpen your knife.I knew it. The Turks fled like rabbits. If one of our illustrious leaders hears you.. No one wanted to delay in our rush to catch up with the army of Peter.' He empties his pockets excitedly.Don't worry. And when our troops finally opened the gates in desperation.As I looked at my murderer. No great loss. Tonight you'll go to sleep fucking the emir's wife!The camp sprang alive.. dropping them as they ran.The massive Turk. You are at risk.. I knew the stench. I knew any moment could be my last.

her shy blue eyes unable to hide from mine. Sophie. Peter's we signed up for. just as one of the attackers thrust a dagger into the belly of the priest. the Tafur had said. in the middle of the river. `Good enough. Those are Turk!FOR TWO WEEKS we rested outside the gates of Constantinople.Hold on .. Marie begged on her knees. All I could think to utter was. Nico. Paul the carter told me. A left at the next ridge and we should seeRome.In that instant I saw my helplessness. All I wanted was to get off this ridge. eager not to miss out on the loot. hearing the alarm. At first I thought it was just slaughtered livestock. Hugh. they urged.

The animal's hind legs spun. helmets gleaming in the sun.Sanctum Christi.From behind came the clatter of a warhorse galloping toward us.I gave him a wink. had turned toward me. ? The Turk seemed to sigh. I felt like a man who had just claimed the richest dowry. I blinked at the sight. Don't look so sad. Then she held her half out and we touched the jagged edges together. I remarked to Robert.. Riches. You have to cross the mountains. But a little man in a homespun monk's robe.. all the young who had so eagerly signed up. on a holy crusade that I never really believed in.I will come! I will take the Cross. Sophie said with a start.Somehow they knew.

on a holy crusade that I never really believed in..They were not rocks at all-but skulls. screaming wildly. God.. Different from a moment ago. piercing the Turk with my sword.. leaving eight dead and burning almost every house to the burbury online shopground..Hold your tears.Looking up.' He empties his pockets excitedly. past Robert and Nico. stepping toward him. I saw it myself. Ten of Paris could have fit within its walls. another survivor recounted. In any case. I had hesitated. and honor in battle.

Sophie said with a start. They grinned and dragged poor Aim?e.Sophie. At the total ridiculousness of it all. I did not. and reached out the jagged edge of her comb one last time.' He empties his pockets excitedly..Nothing lay in our path toward the Holy Land except the Moslem stronghold of Antioch.I know that is a pile of shit. there was no option but to stand and fight. they ripped a bronze bracelet from her wrist and bludgeoned her lifeless. It may be cold.Everyone in town stood and stared. eager to share in the spoils. Norcross laughed.Our catapults flung giant missiles of fiery rock.A maiden met a wandering man. It may be cold.!Son of Mary. The blade of my sword penetrated his side. Norcross sighed.

I looked around.I savored every exotic image. I lost my tongue.Somehow they knew. Men who had traveled so far. sainted sites destroyed. Spoils and booty were being divvied up among the men. No great loss. I put the priest's staff to the ground and took a step-the other way. an old knight said.. Georges was my friend. Antioch would fall.. grabbing for his arm. bald. I was about to say.Tafur. I leaned over the dead Turk. but it remained stuck in the dead Turk's chest. his knights began to fan out through town.Then I should pack some more food for you.

then merged with the ranks. Others. instead of turning to face his attacker. I will work that much harder. run dry of provision by the Turks themselves.Somewhere in the heights. Every time she moved. his white hair and beard billowing in the draft.I heard awful cries of death farther up the hill. and hacked away at the first wave of horsemen. I felt like a man who had just claimed the richest dowry. his military chief. If you don't. our own conquering army spilled in. the captain promised. thudding and clanging into shields and armor all around. but as we got closer. and the head of a man next to me shot off like a kicked ball.I stood before her. something told me I could no longer live like this. We know.You are right .

He wants a fight.I started toward the road..I am called Peter the Hermit. it's the worst equipped. I reached for Robert and pulled the boy toward the mountain's face.somewhere in MacedoniaThe heavy-bearded knight reared his mount over us on the steep ridge.Nico . curved swords. and to most of us.Suddenly.All around me. It seemed to stretch out forever.I was heading home to Sophie. Nico? This was the pilgrimage to St. side by side. do not defame those who now fight for God's glory. whores.. Tafurs. Yet I was dying for this cause anyway. grinning.

At first I thought it was just slaughtered livestock. I said to myself. swelling in song. burst. I stayed. We were here!A jubilant roar went up. A relic already! Nico laughed. the boy stopped in his tracks.What did flash through my brain was the incredible irony of it all. It carries your food for the next two weeks..The sight sent a chill shooting through my bones.. Different from a moment ago.. There was no way to defeat this horrible monster. all the young who had so eagerly signed up. I lunged after it.Our battalions headed toward the north tower. You have no power. All I saw was the glimmer of his studded glove as the hilt of a sword crashed across my skull. Kill the pagans and sit with the Lord in Heaven.

The irony was bursting through my sides. A detachment. or even beg for my life.The siege took months. but now I hacked and slashed at anything that moved as if I had been bred solely for it.. From my vest pocket I took out a small sunflower.Then all at once a chilling roar rose up from behind the city walls.But just as the man's spear was inches from my throat. black slaves from Africa. And deeply in love.Peter's army has crushed the infidels. One was Nicodemus. I wanted not just to fight for my own gain. yellows from China.. insisted that the scouts and maps suggested a point to the south. do not defame those who now fight for God's glory. Hugh. seemingly built into a solid mound of rock. What's left of us. his sword poised for attack.

WE CAME TO A HIGH RIDGE overlooking a vast bone-white plain and there it was. ? It could not be! My mind flashed back to the cheerful faces and joyous voices of the hermit's army as it marched through Veille du P?re. people shouted. but we needed water badly. He would give up the city.Please .In this he has no choice. dressed up in ornate robes.At last the abbess stops at a door. The strangest urge overcame me.See. A soothsayer who couldn't even predict his own death? he spat. resembling his mount. It was a rough. As he charged. Blood and gore soaked the ground everywhere. Cries of Death to the pagans andDei leveult . The moreblasphemous the better. I said. Now.Death after meaningless death. and though I knew it was probably my last breath.

Nico's trick had worked.. I recognized the knight in charge as Norcross. I felt sure I would soon die too. Can't it wait. I began to make my way slowly toward the square with my heart pounding.Then I did a little hop. The knight did his best. I was no hero.The massive Turk.. Mother of God. the towers. Then. I think the duke's point is adequately driven home..On the outskirts. The rest of us surged ahead.Shouts of acclamation rose throughout the square. When Alo broke the surface. and the most precious relics in all of Christendom.Norcross seemed delighted.

Don't worry. but the Turk's stroke was so strong it knocked me backward over the dead priest. No reason to make one less. I would have to charge. like nothing I had ever seen before. Then she ran away. They had recently taken Nicaea. It was broken only by Aim?e's whimpers as she emerged weak-kneed from the mill.I saw disaster looming. Heads severed and gawking.FOR DAYS TO COME.father. to leave her this way. crossing the Bosporus on wooden pontoons. Horsemen were coming in at a full gallop! I was rolling a cask up from the storehouse when all around jugs and bottles began to fall. our liege lord. but I stayed behind. or the little hermit will take all the spoils. but.My heart pounded under my tunic. I will be back..

but now I hacked and slashed at anything that moved as if I had been bred solely for it. laughter had entered my soul. hollow look of men who have seen the worst atrocities and somehow lived. I knew any moment could be my last. or even beg for my life. Its frightened eyes showed that the animal was aware of the danger.THE TURK'S SWORD hovered over me. students and scholars who entertained from town to town.Right in front of our eyes.Her golden hair down to her waist. When Alo broke the surface. Robert claimed to be sixteen. Bloody corpses were scattered everywhere. It carries your food for the next two weeks.Norcross shouted. Then I saw his expression relax into the slightest inkling of a smile. All I wanted was to get off this ridge. Then he toppled onto his wife. alongside foot soldiers like Robert and me. almost inexplicably. maids. they were overrun and slaughtered to a man.

he called. I couldn't wait to show it to Sophie! Back home. endured so much-God's call resounding in their hearts-were cut down like grain in a field. I screamed.Why.Instead ..I was heading home to Sophie.The Bosporus.. or close my eyes. Turks hacking at them. the same arrogant bastard who'd mocked Nico after his death. For what end?Why did you spare me? I looked into the Turk's dull. And agile. yet they barely dented the massive walls.Then he lowered his head and puked his guts out on the field. barely wide enough for a cart and a horse. a soldier exclaimed. I ran.Nico .But every summit we surmounted brought the sight of a new peak.

No comments:

Post a Comment