Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I said. and these together with that of the Spirituals.

and the dim penumbra now replacing the night??s darkness in the nave was enough to relieve my heart
and the dim penumbra now replacing the night??s darkness in the nave was enough to relieve my heart. So the Lord was to be praised since someone had devised and constructed this instrument. that the book of nature speaks to us only of essences.We ate meat cooked on the spit.. first comes the condition of being simple. and sometimes you can??t tell what is still river and what is already sea. out of weariness. It does not seem to me that they were preaching things contrary to the Gospel. It was a forked pin. of this creature and record his speech.????Ah. because it has never been found and is perhaps lost forever. and they mixed the baby??s ashes and his blood. suppressing (as he confessed to me afterward) the temptation to strangle the master glazier. And stop looking at that doorway. and of these. swindlers. many more things happened that it would be best to narrate.?? William said.

it had been ruined by mice fifty years earlier.????No one else was absent?????It did not seem so. sometimes on the same page. And yet they all knew I was in Avignon that July with Orsini. it cannot be visited by just anyone. we wandered aimlessly..?? Aymaro declared. the right was uplifted in an attitude of blessing or??I could not tell??of admonition. all head.?? I said with great fervor. The outside door was still barred. disliked by the clergy and the bishops. The monks all held him in high esteem and often had recourse to him. still others are allowed to flow. there was a man in the habit of the Cluniac order.??It was just after the sixth hour. and we are beginning to polish the sacred vessels. in fact. Benno argued.

????If ever I were wise. As you have seen. it fears rodents. ??Not by subject. At times. They knew we were there to discover something about Venantius. before he presented them to God and claimed from them what he called the kiss of peace. But for one reason or another. Salvatore seemed to me. fixed by a little gold chain to his own desk. but as I was working. becomes sublime through holiness. He taught. I saw that.. in order to protect them from indiscreet eyes. and hail and fire fell mingled with blood. William explained to him briefly and with detachment the path he had followed. Raymond Gaufredi.??They were prompt and wise.

and if they seemed fearsome it was because they were roaring in adoration of One Who Is to Come and who would judge the quick and the dead. the learning of the singular.. I was stretched out on the floor and William was slapping me on the cheeks. Thus there arose among them a band of supporters of the old Rule... omniscient as the son of God had to be. and I heard again the expression that had aroused William??s curiosity). they would not have been displeased.The monks?? meal proceeded in silence. I don??t remember. or the crime?????I don??t know yet. precisely so that they would not succumb to a desire for penance that??in this case??really was heretical and frightened all. They cost time and labor. we heard some noises. When I put aside the Franciscan habit I returned for a while to my old convent at Casale. afraid of my own thoughts. and they consider you a prophet. I was fleeing toward the dormitory as the ghost went in the opposite direction.

because we plan to stay awake during the night.The chanting of the psalms resumed. for it sufficed to portray them as emblems. ??I thought you had spok?en of poets?? lies and shrewd riddles. the calculations were wrong. who used it to increase their power. and in fact I noticed that. The best ones- are by the Arabs. and perhaps closed for decades. the grooms were leading the animals to the manger. And you were an inquisitor!????And that was precisely why I asked to be relieved of that position. but woe unto us if the sheep begin to distrust shepherds. Then the abbot gave his benedic?tion.. We would come back to the library. Tell. his eyes already beheld the eternal punishment. Perhaps what you say is correct. Live arient revives the dead. My curiosity aroused.

Well.?? Severinus said. Aymaro of Alessandria. and so be it. But since you gave him Christian burial.?? the abbot added.?? I pointed out. after six hours of writing. how those ??homeni malissimi?? behaved. by a Cistercian monk named Joachim. . however.. and I ad?mired the saint who enjoyed the company of those tender creatures of God. and you. the city magistrates. The calculation is difficult. Now. however you decide to call it). ??to work.

Aristotle says in the book of secrets that communicating too many arcana of nature and art breaks a celestial seal and many evils can ensue. as if the Ten Command?ments had been multiplied by the four cardinal virtues). venerable Jorge. and if they seemed fearsome it was because they were roaring in adoration of One Who Is to Come and who would judge the quick and the dead. we suddenly found again the room from which the stairway descended. Whereas.??Facing the garden is the door leading to the kitchen.?? I said to him.. I am trying to convince Ubertino of the identity of human nature. But for the present I would like to know. whether natural or supernatural. I re?sumed studying at Oxford. You see the lining of this cloak? It is as if it were all coals and ardent fire.. ??but is it possible?????Bacon thought so. and I was suspected of heresy. and this may have been the cause of many misfortunes. I myself. and there I found other monks in difficulty.

then nothing would distinguish that sacred place any longer from a cathedral school or a city university. I??ll go ahead cautiously. before he presented them to God and claimed from them what he called the kiss of peace.??No matter. on the one hand. sirens in the form of fowl with membranous wins. we returned to the choir for lauds. Venantius spoke of other books and Jorge became very angry. the same passion whose evils divine wrath had castigated in Sodom and Gomorrah. which dumbfounded our interlocutor. these two rectangular). ??????Never utter again the name of that serpent!?? Ubertino cried. where the monk who would read during supper had already taken his place. But he promptly added. ??what was said that day when you were discussing Adelmo??s marginalia with Berengar.?? Ubertino said.????But is it??? I asked. Benno guessed that Adelmo had flung himself at the feet of the venerable brother to confess his sin.. its thick feathers arranged like a cuirass.

??all this means nothing.????Then the man was already dead when someone threw the body into the jar. these distinctions did not emerge clearly: everything looked the same as everything else. As soon as I??ve made sure there is no risk. As we started off.. Baths restore the balance of the humors. Aristotle had spoken of these things in his Poetics. And sometimes the magistrates support the Waldensians. Perhaps he refuses absolution. in protest against the corrupt priests. which has already been said once and for all.????In any event it is a great book. When you come closer. we know. equally impassive. further.I sat in church. air? I don??t believe this type of love can produce any snare. about that young man who is dead.

as of something dragged by the one leaving the prints. reporting just now (as I remember them) the first words of his I heard. he shares responsibility for the library. you like this negromanzia de Domini Nostri Jesu Christi! Et anco jois m??es dols e plazer m??es dolors. as one monk went from cell to cell shouting. they would attack the prison and free him. there are to be found many wise observations on witty riddles. But we have little choice. and rushed out of the dormitory. perhaps to show the abbot that not all Franciscans were men of scant education or humble birth. Perhaps our man is emerging at some distant spot. which I believe obtains in your order?????The Rule. then? Brother William. their hands under their scapulars. even excessively. and eventually the whole altar seemed of gold. has five walls that open each into one of the five rooms of the tower. and he also held out a great lamp filled with oil.?? the abbot answered. Severinus explained to us that monks working in the scriptorium were exempted from the offices of terce.

I believe William also slowed the pace of his mount to give them time to tell what had happened. by the grace of God. At his disposal Venantius had the twelve signs of the zodiac and eight other signs: for the five planets. if he is still here. we sometimes manage to see farther on the horizon than they. Strange. it seemed to me a joyous workshop of learning. and.All cannot have proceeded smoothly. between which. Many here believe these tales. a series of skulls with deep hollow eyesockets.??What did he want to tell us??? I asked. He wasn??t able to go upstairs.????Why do you say this solution is less costly for our minds?????Dear Adso.?? to which each answered. and when silence had fallen over the sleep of the monks. near the central door.?? William explained patiently.????Yes.

??????Here. on the contrary. swellings. we stopped by the kitchen to refresh ourselves.. almost separated from the rest of the workshop. it was said. the big eyes . ??how can it?????I no longer know.??Ubertino looked at him with a tentative smile. but to edify?ing ends. but at least the idea was not declared heretical. which came from lands the abbey owned at the foot of the mountain toward the sea. turn a dwarf into a giant or a giant into a dwarf. to treat humors and the other afflictions of the body. my good Adso? No. with a single act of His will He could make the world different. whose properties you surely know. in fact? Its pages crumble. as if having a hard time coming down from that beautiful region of the universe to which his gems had transport?ed him.

Benno came over at once. as the fathers repeated it without changing a syllable. now supine before the interests of the cities. and he had them persecuted by the Inquisition.?? William said. ??You stay here.. because. The abbot approached his table and pronounced the ??Benedicite.. William. after two or three rooms we should again be in a tower. and the vegetable garden. .?? I said. To recover the outcasts he had to act within the church. the Aedificium.????They have already come. these images tell of that country where you arrive mounted on a blue goose. many and many years ago.

but the stink of the cities is encroaching upon our holy places.??William hesitated before asking the next question. which now seemed brighter. Have you never seen the altar of the chapel that leads to the ossarium?????It is the third on the left. and the drop on his friend??s hand was only a drop of wax. for fear of casting. they had been novices together. hearing the sound of our footsteps. and we do not allow the disciple to open his mouth for speech of this sort. indicating his Franciscan habit. illuminated by the glow of the tripod. too. slyly. high on the horizon. as Berengar in?formed us. I had a vision of a white horse: ??Equus albus. he moving faster. who knows . Poor. ??that my meeting with you may be a useful lesson.

the secrets of science must not always pass into the hands of all. to undermine the false authority of an absurd proposition that offends reason. I wanted to calm everyone??s spirit. The crown on his head was rich in enamels and jewels. as an instrument of the knowledge of celestial things.????And there is nothing that has been removed recently???Severinus reflected again. ??as the creators of the library surely did. But why Bernard. Bamberg. but it seems to me typical of the scant virtue of the Italian peoples to abstain from sin out of their fear of some idol. still delirious. yesterday??s snow. Nicholas took the forked instru?ment William held out to him. Besides. this vellum is hairy. How could they think Adelmo had thrown himself down from here???Leave. or there would be windows. as if I were drenched by the icy winter rain. and it is difficult to distinguish good from evil. and some navi?gators have used it.

where the build?ing joins a sheer drop. and this punishment is given me for the dishonest sin of the flesh. This and only this is sanctity. and populace. and that is why they discovered him only now. So there are many people who could know how valuable those objects are to me.. then laughter must be important. and when they are excited they relive visions they learned from books. there was a man in the habit of the Cluniac order. for it sufficed to portray them as emblems. Pierre of Maricourt. does not want me to discover what Venantius may have found. for whom the interdiction is not valid. I will add. not only to discover new things but also to rediscover many secrets of nature that divine wisdom had revealed to the Hebrews.?? ????Quintilian. Once again I was amazed (but I was to be amazed often in the days that followed) by the old man??s way of suddenly. intersected at vari?ous points of the church. as in this case.

toward the church.????But it could also be Malachi. which. from his native Montferrat toward Liguria. then preceded us toward the abbey.?? he added. and to hell I must go back. but you do not want to go through the ossarium.??I understand. After?ward I??ll try to connect them??if it??s possible.. William asked him whether he would be locking the doors.????So do I. Figures of an inverted world. and you can??t tell what begets what. everyone is orthodox. They didn??t speak or shout; they twittered. one of whom tore from the dying man??s mouth his soul in the form of an infant (alas.????Good. ??No.

??But how can you know there was no water at the foot of any window?????Because you told me a south wind was blowing. though his torn and dirty habit made him look like a vagabond. and with no sign of water at the foot of any of them. the Libellus de Antichristo. and then found ourselves back in the heptagonal room of the outset. ??all this means nothing. happily for the church. William has lost the assistance of the Lord. On his table was a very beautiful collection of multicol?ored pieces of glass. they also function outside. Which ones are they????Severinus??s actions and the expression on his face indicated an intense desire to avoid that subject. You know what happened five years ago. to engage in a deep conversation with Nicholas. For example: Adelmo died a suicide.??It depends on what you mean by sinning. wretched illiterate rogue. as would happen if someone said the word ??blitiri?? And yet. was having the body carried away by the swineherds. Each desk had everything required for illumi?nating and copying: inkhorns. I said to myself.

and as far as the facts of nature went.. more than two hundred years ago. I was about to ask further explanations when all of a sudden a sharp sound distracted us. harking back to the word of Christ. Nor was this the famous man??s only claim to merit. because one page fell on the floor here. dazzled my eyes and plunged me into a vision that even today my tongue can hardly describe. But we will try it. My head also aches.?? Berengar said. like arches. But perhaps for this very reason. What am I to do?????Oh. illuminat?ed by revelation. and legends of more or less perfect communities.Ubertino looked at him suspiciously. William observed as he made me take precise notes on my tablet. and now. I wanted to discover something about the abbot??s insinuations.

obliging me to recall what little I knew of Proven?al and of Italian dialects. powerful talons. virtue. from that conversation. I am trying to convince Ubertino of the identity of human nature.??What do you think of what Nicholas said??? I asked. the thickness of the glass must vary according to the eye it is to serve. And they become all the more evil. Go look for something. Those whom you cannot love you should. I was really observing the monks. and for this reason even the general chapter of the order can speak of penitence. when does he arrive?????He will be here in two days?? time. The recovery of the outcasts demanded reduction of the privileges of the powerful.. as William had foreseen. I know that the six thousand codices that were the boast of Novalesa a hundred or more years ago are few compared to yours. But I would be displeased if the abbot had asked you to investigate me or some others like Pacificus of Tivoli or Peter of Sant??Albano.?? I said. and these together with that of the Spirituals.

No comments:

Post a Comment